1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help choosing a new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tyrion, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Tyrion

Tyrion

Aug 11, 2012
    Hello all. Returning bass player after 9 years of down time and I find myself floored by the technology jumps over the last decade. I'm getting a little dizzy in my quest for a new amp.

I play in a blues, rock band, very guitar driven. We play a wide range of styles from classic blues, jazz and a few heavier songs. (Open chord and no drop tuning on the bass.) In the past my rig was merely for stage volume and I utilized a DI box (love the sansamp) to run to the PA as it sounded much better than my standalone rig. Now it appears that I will have to carry the volume for small and medium-sized venues, as quite a few in this area have downsized or eliminated their PA systems in the intervening years. At the very least I'm going into every show expecting to carry the volume.

I'm looking for an amp ($600 absolute max but would love to be closer to the $400 range) that can carry the venue and cut through the hellaciously loud dueling guitars in this project, as well as offer a wide range of tonal capability with a minimum of fuss. I am NOT an accomplished amp fiddler. I can hear what I like, but am not versed enough to be able to dial it in on some of the more-complicated amps. To put it simply, I need an amp that can be adjusted quickly with as few knobs/dials/sliders as possible.

I'm going to initially be playing through a GK neo 4x10 and will be looking for a 2x12 neo to complement at some point in the future. Bass is an '84 G&L L-2000. Everything I play is finger-style.

Side question, with this type of setup is it time to dump the DI's? They've been my tone binky for so long just for the ease of use.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Find an amp with 300-500 watts, and look for simplicity. But, if you want to use 2 cabs, it's best to use 2 identical cabs than mix n match. I'd suggest a pair of 8 ohm 2x12's, as this will pair up well with almost any amp you choose.

3. Hmm, why and how did you come to this mismatched decision as being a complement? Thanks