1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Help choosing!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VivleQc, Apr 6, 2009.

1. VivleQc

VivleQc

Mar 23, 2009
    I know some people hate that kind of thread but eh...
    It's been a month since ive been shopping around for a new combo, but since there's not a lot of choice i dont know what to go for!
    I play mostly in my appartment but sometimes i jam with a drummer (who plays loud)
    So i was looking for a combo around 200 watts,
    I really like the Ampeg B200R but im not sure since ther'es many problem with the rattling issue.
    Do you have any suggestion for a good combo around 600...that's plays loud and is not too heavy (under 80pounds)

2. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    You might consider a head and a cabinet. It would split up the weight and you won't outgrow it as quickly.
    You might consider picking up something like an Ampeg B2r or Hartke head for pretty cheap and you can find cheap used cabinet or a new avatar cabinet

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, good idea. A single 15" cab plus a nice (used) 200 or so watt head, and you're in bussiness.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  5. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    chk out the acoustic b200 15' speaker combo its got a 6 band eq and its 350 bux :D

6. VivleQc

VivleQc

Mar 23, 2009
    Ok i didnt really considered having a head and a cab,
    But ill maybe start looking into it!
    What do you think of the Traynor YBA 2- i could have it for 500$

7. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi VivleQc.

Is there any way that you could visit a music store (say.., Steve's Music in Montreal?) and let your ears guide you in your pursuit of a bass amp?

Once you've narrowed your selection down to a couple or three contenders, you could set up a rent-to-buy arrangement with the music store to try the amp(s) in a jam for a few hours in order to form a critical assessment. (A music store is not the best place to really test a rig.)

Perhaps you could even buy a suitable used amp from the store's rental department (backed with some kind of warranty) and save a little dough.

BTW. If you bought a Traynor YBA200, or better yet the newer YBA200-2 for $500, you'd still have to buy a decent 8 ohm or 4 ohm cab whose speakers could handle a cranked 200 watt (clean) ~250 watt (distorted) all-tube head.