Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help Cutting Through

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by amos, Jan 15, 2004.

1. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Current Setup

2x Aguilar GS112
    61 Fender Mustang
    BBE Bmax-T
    QSC PLX 1602

the mustangs pickups are not what I would call "aggressive" and have relatively low output compared to say, a Pbass.

what mid frequency should I set for best cut with my setup?

and to all the alembic users what EQ is the best for cutting through?

I plan on getting an L-2000 or Stingray as soon as I get the money which I know will help a lot. If I still have issues after that maybe I will get a 2x10

I've searched on this topic but I feel every setup is different

thanks

*edit* wonders if this is in the right forum :meh:

2. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Push somewhere like 500 to 800 hz.

If you're using the smiley face EQ, change it to a frown instead.

That should get you through.

3. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    yeah that's where I hvae it set . oh well. just have to wait for the l-2000

4. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I was thinking about trying to trade my 12 for an EA 10. . . thoughts about volume differences?

5. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Amos,

The cab choice depends on your music as much as anything else. I'm not convinced that a 110 cab can take you much past coffee house or jazz gigs.

Your current rig is fantastic.

You might check the setup of your pickups. Mustang should put out at about P-bass level...I set up an old one once...had to make sure the pickups were level rather than angled like on a P-bass. Hold the strings down at the end of the fingerboard and check the string height above the pickup pole pieces. It should be between 3/32" and 1/8" for good output and clarity.

6. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    tornadobass,

thanks for the input. If I were to trade my 12 for a 10 it would only be one of them and I would use the 10 with my other 12. However, I do not think I am going to do this

I am now definitely going check and make sure my pickups are setup correctly

the music I play is a mix of 80s synth pop and rock and I think I was so enthralled by the idea of having 42 lb. cabs I didn't think about the fact I might want to have cabs with more definition and clairty. But they do get the job done . . .

thanks

7. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Good luck...you might also try turning up the cab's horn a bit and rolling off somewhere around 150 or 200 hz...the Aggie cabs have a low-mid bump that might be causing a problem with your setup.

BTW, I've been using one 4 ohm Avatar 12 cab with a GK700RB and an Azola EUB. I've had to push the hi-mids and highs to get through the band in muddy rooms.

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Get a pre amp, or put some Seymour Duncan Pups in it or both. You can get decent pre amp pedals for not too much money.

9. I had problems to cut through with one of my basses. I bought EBS multicomp, you can cranked the gain up to 12db with or without crompressing.
    The improvement was stunning.

Have you tried your rig with another bass to check if it's because of the mustang?
    You might not push your amp(or pre) loud enough ...:bassist:

10. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    It very well might be the mustang. I know with my SWR WM-15 my bass was very quiet and I was using my friend's Sansamp BDDI in order to be heard. I'm going to try my singer's peavey bass through my new rig tonight.

I was thinking about getting a DB 924 but I really want a new bass and the L-2000 has a hot ass output so if it's the bass then I will just try and sell **** as fast as I can in order to get my new bass.

11. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Agreed about the L-2000 output. I have an L-1000 that's hotter as a passive bass than most active basses. Plus the L-2000 will have treble boost just in case.

12. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I had two EA110 and the one EA112 I now have two gs112s and am VERY happy! I like warm phat sound of gs112.

I'll leave it there....;)

13. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I had two EA110 and the one EA112 I now have gs112s and am VERY happy! I like warm phat sound of gs112.

I'll leave it there....;)

14. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Mcrelly:

did you ever use your EA 110 with your AG 112?

and an update:

I did some tweaking at practice tonight. gain 7; cut lo countour and bass; boosted treble to about 6; mids about 7; mid gain at about 8 with frequency at about 500hz. I also turned the tweeters on both my cabs to about half way.

This helped a lot for pick bass but not so much for finger. It did help some but it didn't have that tight and clear definition I'm looking for. I thought about hooking my sansamp RBI into the effects return of my Bmax-T preamp.

I do think that the L-2000 will cut better especially with all the tonal options just on the bass alone.