Need help deciding on a cab configuration

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MentalBass, May 3, 2005.

1. Mesa PH 2x15'' + Bergantino 6x10''

2. Mesa PH 2x15'' + Mesa PH 6x10''

3. Mesa PH 2x15'' + Mesa PH 4x10''

1. Hey all,

I'd like your opinions on Bergantino vs. Mesa bass cabs. The configurations I'm considering for my rig are in the poll above. Which would you rather have, and why?

Although the Berg 6x10 is rated at 750 W and the Mesa 6x10 at 900 W, I realize that the numbers aren't the most accurate descriptor. I've played through the Mesa 4x10 and the Berg 6x10, but not the Mesa 6x10. Is there a big difference between the two different sized Mesas? Also, which brand would you recommend for someone playing a lot of different styles of music?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm interested in the whole "mesa vs bergantino" in terms of TYPE of sound as well.

My only concern would be the mix of brands and getting a different sound then what they have when keeping it mono-brand. Not a bad thing, but definitely a subjective thing. Then again, what isn't?

I'm guessing that all of those congurations would be LOW and LOUD LOUD LOUD. :D

And so with saying that, I'm pretty sure the plus 6x10 rigs would be "louder" then the plus 4x10 rig, but then again, IMO, it's gonna be like how much benefit is it going to be to either be deafening or slightly louder than deafening? Or in terms of what I always say about computers, how much faster than "instant" can you actually notice?

The Bergantino vs Mesa thing I cannot attest to and would like opinions. But regarding the 6x10 vs 4x10 thing, with that much of a rig, you might as well go 2x15 + 6x10 if you aren't afraid to go SUPER BIG ONLY and want to max out the rig. But if you want BIG but CAN get smaller (ie a bit more portable) and more flexible for decreased size of venue, the 4x10 would be nice to have around...

Oh who am I kidding, with this kind of rig, what the heck is a small venue?!!?! :bassist:
  3. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    can i ponder as in what satdiums your playin that you'll need a 2X15 anda 6X10? i say you just get 2 2x15's and 4 8x10's with about 500o watts and have rhode island as your venue.
  4. Well, I'm going to be competing with a guitarist who runs a Randall Warhead X2 (350 Watts) into one (if not two) Randall 4x12'' 's. That's a big reason :D
  5. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    You still definately dont need a 215 paired with a 610. At that point your breaking your back for no reason. Open your mind and observe your options a little bit more.

For Example:

Mesa PH 4x12
    Mesa PH 2x12 + Mesa PH 1x15
    Mesa PH 2x12 + Mesa PH 4x10
    Mesa PH 1000

It seems like your goals would be more easily attained if you had biamping capabilities. But just because you have tons of guitar to overcome doesnt mean you need a double fullstack. Any of the options I listed would allow you to have 2 managably sized cabs that would handle a power flow of AT LEAST 1200Watts. If you got the 4x12, you'd get lots of lows while not losing out on all kinds of punch.... AND you could load up to 1800Watts into that sucker to gain all kinds of headroom (without needing a larger poweramp/head).

It's your choice of course. Maybe you've got roadies, for all I know :p

TO ADD:
    I recommend the PH412, along with a QSC RMX1850 poweramp and a preamp of your preference. 1800Watts that would make your guitar player beg for mercy. :bassist:
  6. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1, AGREED, and WORD UP. Even my 1x15 + 2x10 can get seriously LOUD with just my M-2000's "measely" 600w. With a 4x12 or 2x12 + 4x10 and 1000+ watts, you will either make that guitar player want to reassess your guys' rigs and volume goals, or you all will go deaf trying to see who can get louder than who.

Why why why?
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Any one of those rigs would be a soundman's worst nightmare. Let the PA handle the bass sound to the audience like its designed, use your amp ONLY for stage monitoring, and keep the stage volume from muddying up the venue.

If you need THAT much volume on stage, consider TWO 4x10 cabs or an 8x10 cab, since tens don't tend to throw lows as far out as 15's do.