1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help identifying Warwick Rockbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Simpson, May 11, 2019.

1. Evening/morning all (depending upon what time you read this).

I have been offered a Rockbass Streamer. I'll attach images at the end. It's a model I haven't seen before, and from what I can tell it's an earlier model (one piece high-mass style bridge, "Rockbass" logo on headstock with the warwick logo on the truss rod cover instead of the "W" logo on the headstock). It's a single MEC pickup, with 2x controls (volume and tone, I'd assume) and a strat type input jack on the front. Translucent red finish. Guy knows absolutely nothing about basses, and said it's been lying for quite some time in the back of a wardrobe. Any idea what these were worth when they first came out, and what a reasonable offer would be for one? received_421323655313413. received_2018619501778888.

Cheers in advance!

Michael

2. Floppystrings

Floppystrings

Apr 5, 2019
    It looks like a very early Rockbass, I don't know what is going on with the light markings on the side of the fretboard (most likely rosewood, lower quality). It seems like it might be a passive version. The body looks like ash. I would value it at maybe $275 mint, but it's hard to say what is going on with the fretboard.

The early rockbasses had some truss rod issues, that is one thing to look out for.

3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    It’s an early 2000’s streamer standard. You can google that info and find a few photos of red or natural finish samples.
    The Rosewood looks like it needs to be cleaned and oiled.

4. Wow, thanks for the quick and clear response dude! I will definitely have to check it out. I found very little about these online, the only thing I did find is that apparently the electrics are very weak stock but this can easily be remedied. Thanks again!

5. I did think that from the photos, it looks absolutely filthy but as long as it's not a total defect it can be cleaned! :D I did Google various wordings of "Warwick Rockbass Streamer standard/std 1hb" etc but found maybe 1, or 2 images and the one site that did seem to hold information was in Russian, not much use to a Scottish person! :roflmao: Thanks though!

6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
  7. Floppystrings

Floppystrings

Apr 5, 2019
    No problem, I might even lower the value more, this was the lowest priced rockbass ever offered, not that it sounds bad. I just found this newer much updated bass new for $279: Warwick RockBass Streamer Standard Burgundy Red Oil

Also, the German version of this bass goes for around $600, which is dirt cheap for a German warwick. It might sound great though, those MEC pickups are very very good. That pickup is usually used with an active preamp, so the passive version may sound weak. Warwick's use passive pickups with an active preamp typically, so that may be why people have said they sound weak, I am pretty sure the pickup was designed for an active preamp.

With that said, my active Warwicks sound huge in passive mode.

8. Cool, thanks! I think I may get offered it for a fair price, known the guy for years so time will tell. He's taking it along next practice so I can get a run on it and we will see where we stand from there! I've had a hankering for a warwick type for years, and I've always been intrigued by the single pickup ones. Just a shame it's not a 5 string or I'd be all over it like a rash!