1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help now! LAN connection problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Sep 14, 2008.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    hey guys i need some quick help i need to connect my laptop to the internet while i leve this computer conected too. The problem is that i dont have a router ATM, so i was wondering if it was possible to use the second LAN port on this pc to provide inet access to the laptop?

Thx in advance.

2. deggial

deggial

May 27, 2008
    Athens, Greece
    Yes, you can do that, provided you use an Ethernet crossover cable between the two computers, or a similar USB cable.

You don't mention which OS you're using, but I'll assume it's some version of Windows. They have a feature called "Internet Connection sharing" that you need to activate in your internet connection. If using Windows XP: Control Panel->Network Connections, select the relevant connection, right click and select Properties. In the Advanced tab, select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box under Internet Connection Sharing.

If I'm not mistaken, there's also an automated wizard for setting up home networks that can take care of these settings for you.