1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help reading bass clef

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JordanDelap, Mar 27, 2008.

1. I play trumpet and bass guitar. The problem is i started trumpet first so i can read treble clef but i cann't read bass clef. can anyone tell me a good way of learning bass clef. All my bass life i've been reading music from tab but i've started to realise that notation has many more advantages than tab and hence the reason i'd like to learn it.
    Thanks in advance.

John Pockrus likes this.
  2. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
  3. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    I used to play trumpet too, and spent my early years on stringed instruments reading by chord or by tab, or simply playing by ear. A few months ago, however, I was asked to play in a pit band for Godspell and was faced with the same difficulty. The two sites listed are very helpful starters, but I found that I had to go swallow my pride and buy a beginners bass book to put the notes that I knew together with some (semi)proper fingerings of them. It's demoralizing at first to struggle sight-reading half notes and quarter notes, but I think you'll find that having a musical background will help (even in a different clef) and you'll be reading competently within a few months.

Good luck!

John Pockrus likes this.
  4. cheers guys

5. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Spaces, from bottom to top, are All Cows Eat Grass, and lines are Good Boys Deserve Fudge Always.

The line above the top line (the first ledger line) is middle C.

CozmoCosty and Old P Bass Guy like this.
  6. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Start with this:
    [​IMG]

7. i just learnt how to remember where the notes are on the stave:

Line's- Good Bassist Don't Forget Anything.

Spaces- Always Create Excellennt Grooves.

Hopefully that will help me. That quiz thing is helping alot also.

CozmoCosty and Macho McHorse like this.
  8. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
  9. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    http://www.download.com/NoteCard/3000-2133_4-10004005.html?tag=lst-5

This one is "simple, effective and free" I love it. It got me recognizing a note every four seconds to a note every 1.3 seconds in like 4 days! It does not include keys and accidentals. Just click the little bass clef symbol and try the first test. Then change the level at the bottom and move on.

http://www.download.com/Note-Attack/3000-2133_4-10076897.html?tag=lst-1

Good free program to getting your reading sharp but not easy to understand how to use if you already don't know enough about music.

10. Read EVERYTHING you can get your hands on that is in bass clef. Piano parts, trombone books, tuba music, church hymnals, etc.

I had the same issue when I began bass after playing trumpet for years myself!

imp

11. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Here's a real simple method (I used the reverse to learn treble clef): Take a note in bass clef, raise it up exactly one line or space, and that's the treble clef equivalent. Example: 2nd space from the bottom in bass clef is a C. Raise it up a space to the 3rd space from the bottom and you have a treble clef C. Easy!

CozmoCosty and Old P Bass Guy like this.
  12. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Don't listen to anyone besides me.
    Hahah jk

But seriously check out the first program I recommended.

13. I'm just learning to read music now; I found the old school mnemonics hard to remember, but this one stuck:
    (spaces) Always Create Excellent Grooves
    Lines are just one note up or down from a space so I didn't need a mnemonic to remember them.

I think the best advice is just to get some bass clef music and practice reading it as much as you can, while avoiding treble clef (temporarily).

14. Cameronj

Cameronj

Jan 26, 2009
    Kaysville UT
    the hal leonard method book is really good IMHO. has good backing tracks too. It isn't the end-all, but it is a great start for pounding the bass clef into your head.

CozmoCosty likes this.
  15. i suggest making the Always creat excellent grooves and good bassists don't forget anything methods and make them into something that you will remember..like for me it's "Grant Buys Dildos For A**l"...which is something picked up at college, replace the words with a phrase you'll find easy to remember

CozmoCosty likes this.
  16. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    Good Bassists Dig Fine Ass

CozmoCosty likes this.
  17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    http://www.teoria.com/exercises/notes.htm

This site has many training exercises: chords, intervals, ear training, rhythm, key signatures, scales, intervals, notes, etc.

Check it out! Bookmark this one.