1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help recording drums

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Robert Bayle, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Robert Bayle

Robert Bayle

Mar 24, 2018
    My band wants to put out a single and we have some equipment that I think is suitable but I can’t figure out how to hook it all up. I have a panasonic WR-133 mixer and a Henry matchbox interface. I connected the mixer to the interface and into the computer but I’m not getting that separate individual tracks for each mic. I know a mixer puts drum tracks into 1 sound but I thought if I put it in a interface it also lets me have individual tracks. I’m also a lil new to recording.

2. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Not to discourage you if your goal is just to play around with recording and figure out a few things; but this is a long journey, and you seem at the very beginning.

If the immediate goal is to record high quality tracks of your band, you've got the wrong kinds of gear, and you're facing a steep learning curve. Consider arranging with someone local who has gear, access to a good sounding space, and an established history of producing music that you like the sound of.

3. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    that mixer has two outputs. one for left and one for right. you can record two separate tracks at the same time if you pan one hard right and one hard left, they will come out of those audio outs on the mixer.

that having been said, you don't have the right gear to record all of your drum mics on separate tracks if that's what you're after. check out the Tascam US16x08. it's affordable and decent enough quality. you can plug 8 mics directly into it and they will all show up as separate channels, and you have also 8 line ins, with 2 of them balanced for bass/guitar direct. you can get 16 total inputs at a time, so you could even then use two channels on your mixer to get two more mic preamps and send the signals out the main left and right on the back of the mixer to the line inputs on the back of the us16x08.

and all that having been said, you'd be much better off finding a local recording engineer and paying them to record your band this time around. build up the recording gear and skills over time, but if your bands wants to record a single and use it for marketing / promotion, have someone experienced do it this time and give yourself the chance to learn the craft, it takes a lot of time.

knumbskull likes this.
  4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    As i understand it, mixer-to-interface won’t give you separate tracks. You would need an interface with multiple inputs.

5. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    it's called a "mixer" because it mixes the multiple inputs down into a left and right output for your speakers. some mixers have direct outs for each channel or subgroups that you can route batches of channels to and send them out to several outputs. the wr-133 is not a recording mixer. it only has a left and right output.