Need help selecting a bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deaj, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    I found a used Warwick Corvette Jazzman 4 string at a local Guitar Center that had a unique feature - a flame pale fretboard (supposedly a GC 35th Anniversary limited edition). This thing sounds magnificent! Punchy, warm, woody - very flexible with the MM and J type pickups, passive/active switch, and 2-band active EQ. It covers the sonic territory I was hoping to get out of a new 4 string. Only one problem - the truss rod is shot. The bass shows some wear otherwise that helped me to haggle the price down to something most reasonable. As I was getting ready to pay for it I asked for a truss rod wrench so that I could take a little relief out of the neck. After 1.5 turns total over a period of 20 minutes the neck hadn't budged. I left asking the store to have their resident tech take a look. I received a call a few hours later from the store advising that I not purchase the instrument due to the fact that the truss rod is shot.

This SUCKS! That bass had a killer tone. Great for finger style. Oh well. The only other Warwick that does it for me is the neck-thru Thumb but that's pretty pricey.

I am now starting over at square one looking for another 4 string bass with similar tonal qualities. My budget is no more than $1000 out the door. New or used is fine. Any suggestions?

I currently play a Roscoe LG3000 as my main bass and a Hohner B2B as a travel bass / backup (this is getting sold - can't stand to play it). The Roscoe covers old school tones very well. I don't play slap. I mostly play fingerstyle (occasionally use a pick). I play blues, rock, a little jazz and fusion.

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    1.5 turns over 20 mins? Based on what I've heard, that's pretty aggressive. I was always informed that you should give the neck a few hours to settle after adjusting the truss rod. Maybe I've just been talking to overly cautious people. Still, that does suck... try looking on the various used instrument boards for another. Don't buy something that you're gonna be disappointed with.