Need help thinking!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluemonk, Oct 7, 2004.

1. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    I started into a band that does mostly 80's and 90's covers, and although I like music from all periods (of course), I really found myself wanting to play the classic stuff from 60's early 70's. Also, with things going the way they are with the present administration, it feels to me like the 60's are coming up. I feel compelled to cover tunes like Buffalo Springfiled's "For What it's Worth," and political tunes from CSN and Neil Young. I'd want to throw in some good rocking tunes for fun, of course. Question: do people do this or is it too uncool to believe? Do any yooung people (I'm in my 40's) play/like this music? :meh:
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    FWIW i would listen to the classic rock stations in your area. For the most part i would stick to the "hits" that most people would know. even the "kids" have heard them at some time or another. Get too obscure and you get in trouble. It also helps to put a bit of a modern flair on the old tunes so they dont sound too out of place. The more dancable the tunes are helps a lot too.
  3. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    I can't speak for everyone, but I know my friends and I love all that music. My band plays that music, and people seem to like it. I'm 18, by the way, and my friends are of similar age.
  4. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I like classic rock, I'm 16. Velvet Underground, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Doobie Brothers, Cream, The Who, Jefferson Airplane, Neil Young, CCR, David Bowie, Santana, The Animals, Pink Floyd.

It all rocks.
  5. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Aaaaahh. Yous guys are singing my song...
  6. Hi bluemonk. I too am physically in my 40's, but internally stuck between 18-24. I agree with you on that "60's is coming again" comment - the nation is polarized, time to play Beatles "Revolution" again...

Classic rock is still widely played and listened to in this area (Baltimore-Washington corridor). Lots of classic rock radio stations. People want to hear this live, too, and not just those our age. The music defined a generation, and caused a revolution or two. Besides, I feel very content inside after playing 3-4 hours of this stuff: Beatles, Eagles, Doobies, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith (early), CCR, CSN(Y), Grand Funk, Tom Petty, Foghat, Free, Bad Company, Badfinger, and on and on and... Some of this stuff is becoming timeless.

Heh...Will Lee has the Fab Faux going strong. 'nuf said.
  7. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    we mix some 60's and 70's stuff in with more modern fare, and even the younger crowds seem to like it. Often they'll show the most appreciation for the older stuff.
  8. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Your comments have really encouraged me! I've found two people who share my enthusiasm, and we're going to start jamming next week. Looks like I'll need to get out my pink paisley P bass!! Thanks!