1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

need help tuning...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by heretic, Aug 5, 2004.

1. I am trying to tune my bass to FCGC... the only prob in on the "F" string... I just cant get it. I tried and just ended up snapping the string. :meh:

BTW I am using an electric tuner and yes I am kind of a noob...

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Why is it FCGC? The first three are tuned in fifths, but shouldn't the high C be a D?

Use light gauge strings, they'll keep it from getting too tight.

TI jazz strings have very, very light gauges -- the E is .089.

3. well Im trying to play some System of a Down and thats the tuning they use (seems kind of strange to me) hmmm maybe I can find some tabs that are in standard or drop D. Thanks for the help

4. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN

Just convert the fingerings to your usual tuning...shouldn't take to long and are you going to go back and forth when you play other tunes.

Yeah that tuning makes little sense to me. F-C perfect 5th, C-G Perfect 5th, G-C perfect 4th...

Not familiar with their stuff so could be totally off.

5. I see where you're going at. System of a Down tunes to CGCF which means that the C is the E string. So instead of tuning higher in which thats what u are doing ur sopose to drop ur tuning. The problem that you had was that you mixed up the strings and you were tuning the opposite way you were sopose to. I think thats the problem you have becuase I don't understand how your string would pop when tuning it lower.

So just tune standard and then:

Drop your E string to a C
    A string to G
    D string to C
    G string (haha) to F.
    that should solve it.