Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with a Buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Howdy.

I just got my new bass about a week and half ago and i absoultly love it, Sounds awsome, plays awsome ect.

Only minor problem is I seem to get a sort of "buzz" like sound only on the 14,15,16, & 17th fret on the A-string. Is this normal because i'm not familiar with "buzzing" sounds? Is there a way to fix this?

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    If it's just on one string, in one region of the neck, then it could be the string itself. Get you finger underneath the string and run SLOWLY along the string for burrs. Don't do this quickly, because the kind of burr that causes this kind of buzz can slice your finger if you go across it too fast.

If there is no irregularity on the string surface, then look at the neck. On the actual playing surface of the fingerboard are there any high places? Low places? Basically anything that looks wrong? You could have 'dented' frets below the buzzing area. That could cause a buzz on just one string. But it probably wouldn't do it over several frets. Most likely only one or two.

If the neck is good (I'm guessing it should be if the problem is only on one string.) then consider going to the bridge and raising the action of that one string. Now if the string in question is not already too high, raising it might take away the buzz. DO SMALL ADJUSTMENTS. Never make a big change all at once. After raising the action you will need to re-set the intonation. This amy be best left to a pro.

But those are the things that came to mind as I read your question.

3. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Well you didn't say what kind of bass it is or give any other details. Here's what I think.

-Trussrod
    -saddle height
    -fretwork
    -warped neck
    -technique
    -something loose vibrating
    -lasers from jupiter

More details and get that bass setup.

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    D'OH! I forgot all about alien intervention. :ninja:

5. At that point on the neck, there isn't anything that can be done with the trussrod because there isn't an effect on those high frets. I would be looking into the possiblity of a high fret - one that is truly improperly leveled or one that might have sprung up a little. Either is pretty rare in a new instrument but it happens.

Yep, fixed one last week with damage from lasers from Jupiter. Took me an hour just to clean off the blast marks . :eyebrow:

And why didn't you ask me directly...we, we have a relationship you know!! :bawl: