1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help with GK 700RB buy decision

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by strummer21, Mar 22, 2009.

1. I need to get a louder amp and have an opportunity to buy a used GK 700RB at a good price. I haven't played on it yet, but the present owner says that it works fine, but the pots may be dirty because it crackles a little when you turn some knobs. Does this sound like a dirty pots problem or something bigger/worse? How much do you think it would be to fix or should I just stay away. It doesn't crackle when playing, just when adjusting knobs. I am trying to decide if I offer a lower price subtracting out the fix cost or just walk away from a bad deal.

Thanks for your help.

2. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    in my experience this is a fairly common problem.
    not that expensive to fix...just have to find the right values for the pots.

3. If working the pots back and forth quickly 10 times or so doesn't clear it a $10 can of CONTROL CLEANER will usually fix it. I used caps as you must use electronic control cleaner, WD-40 and things like that will damage the pots.

4. Thanks, if I get it I will clean the pots, but I'm mostly concerned about if this actually is a pots issue or something else. He is just saying it is the pots, if the crackle happens when knobs on the amp are turned could that be something else?

5. Not very likely, if things start to sound/act strange at different pot positions then it might be elsewhere, but noise when turning the pots is 99.9% of the time dirty pots. 95% of the time proper cleaning is all thats needed (unless someone has drown them with stuff like WD-40 or the like).