Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help withAmpeg!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Charr, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Charr

Charr

May 14, 2004
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Or at least getting a decent sound - i've had my SVT-CL + SVT 810 for about a year now, and i've had some trouble with it - it's especially in the low end, if i turn the bass over 12 o' clock the E and B string distort and boom in a very nasty way - it just doesnt sound good.
    I've tried a lot if things, but i just cant seem to get it right - could there be something wrong with it?

hope you can help me :)

2. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    Maybe u need to change ur tubes?

3. Charr

Charr

May 14, 2004
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    i certainly hope not, they're under a year old - but i'll just check it out tho :)

4. Here are my old settings which sounded fine, check against yours, if still sounds duff check speakers !!

Input gain: 2 o clock
    Ultra low out
    Ultra high out
    bass approx 2 o clock
    Mid selector: pos 4
    mid: full on
    treble: 3 o clock
    master volume: normally 11 or 12 o clock ( never more !! )

I used a svt15e and svt410he and my ole SVTCL was 11 months old before selling for Ashdown abm500

Hope this helps

My bass is a musicman stingray 4 string played heavy rock with fingers, take out some treble if pick player

Mart

5. Charr

Charr

May 14, 2004
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    i will definately try that out!
    could the problem be the cabinet? or the Speaker Cabel or anything like that?

6. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Maybe somebody used it when you weren't around ("Let's see what this sounds like on 10?!?) and blew some speakers?

If not, you mentioned cables - doesn't sound like that kind of problem, but you definitely are using a 12 guage speaker cable, right? (Not an instrument cable...)

Have you tried a different bass? It is possible (but not likely) that the prob is in the electronics of your guitar.

It's probably not the amp, but if possible, I'd take the head to your local GC (or wherever you bought the 810) and try it (with your bass) through a new 810 in the store.

In other words, process of elimination. Try replacing each piece until the sound gets better.

Good luck.

7. Charr

Charr

May 14, 2004
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Well the Cab should be able to take about 800 Watts right?
    IF a speaker is broken, is it visible?

The cable i am using IS quite crappy, and iv'e just boight a new better one (just in case)

My bass is a Ibanez BTB1005, and it sound pretty darn good on even the most crappy amps! But just in case i'll, bring my Jackson along :)

It maybe just me fiddling too much with everything, i'll give a shot sunday, and use a couple of hours at our rehersal place!

again thx. for the advice :smug:

8. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I had the same problem for a little while, and sure enough, i replaced the speaker cable, and what do you know, it sounds great now. You might want to check that out. Also, be sure that the EQ on your bass isnt up to high. Sure, cranking that bass knob all the way up sounds great playing by yourself at low volumes, but youll eventually find that playing in a band it gets really muddy, actually LOWERS your sound in the mix (its almost like cutting your mids) and worst of all, can cause your amp to distort. If that is the case, try rolling it back about halfway. Itll take a little while to get used to the sound, but play with it that way for a few hours, then crank it back up, and you'll know what im talking about.

9. Charr

Charr

May 14, 2004
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    okay - just to let all you nice people who has helped me know how it went - i got a decent tone out of it - still not all i want, but as it turns out, 2 of my power amp tubes doesn't glow - so iv'e just called my local muscstore up, and now my Ampeg has a date with a repair man.....i have a feeling this is going to be expensive :crying:

again, thanks for the help :)

10. That was always my worry until i sold it for the Ashdown amp.

Ampeg is great but was to much hard work to get what i wanted, the Ashdown is proving to be better in every way for me but it might not be for you.

I think you are supposed to replace all 6 power tubes so you have two sets of three matched valves. I guess each valve would cost you approx $40 and then there is labour on top.

The svtcl is easy to re -valve as it has the rear leds and pots to set the bias and balance them all out.Ask on here for help and maybe a local Tber will help you out for a drink

Mart