Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by the_vza1, Jun 15, 2004.

1. the_vza1

the_vza1

Jun 15, 2004
    situation:

my friends are real good guitar players and one is lead vocals, we share the same ideologies so my friend decides hes gonna teach me bass to see if i can join the band (if i get good enough and we would also need a drummer), so hes gonna start lessons for me in two weeks, i need advice and maybe some stuff i could read before i start to actually learn, the plan is to change the world in 4 o r 5 years :bassist:

viva la revolucion!

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    You don't ask for specific advice so here's some general stuff.

Guitarists (ie someone who plays guitar and not bass as well) do not make good bassists. Not all bassists can teach, so this could be a frustrating experience. By all means take the 'lessons' but try to hook up with a bass teacher.

Learn to play bass because you want to play bass not because you want to rule the world. You might end up changing music as we know it but youve more chance of enjoying the music you make on your bass.

In many bands (and I suspect that this is the case) the singer and guitarist write the songs. The song writers in the band get more money and dictate musical direction.

Use the search facility here and look up starter/beginner bass threads and have a good look at this forum http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67

3. the_vza1

the_vza1

Jun 15, 2004
    thanks a lot man, i dont realy care that the singer/ guitarists will get the recognition, its all good, its all music :p

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    You are welcome. Have fun.