1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NEED MOD ADVICE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DustinC90, Apr 2, 2013.

1. DustinC90

DustinC90

Jul 28, 2012
    Hey guys. So I've got a Fender MIM Jazz bass. I am trying to mod it to get the best of both Fender tones. First thing I'm doing is replacing the bridge with a badass ii bridge. I want to have a tone that is capable of deep, agressive sounds as well as the smooth jazz tones of the j bass. I have been suggested to put a jazz pickup in the neck position and a p bass pickup in the bridge position. Have you guys heard of the combination, and has it been successful? I've always heard that the PJ combinations are normally P in the neck and J in the bridge. The guy who makes the pickups made the recommendation though.

What do you guys think?

2. I think I would like some of what he's smokin'.

3. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Those skimpy little stock bridges work just fine . The badass is not an improvement .

4. DustinC90

DustinC90

Jul 28, 2012
    If it sounds like a horrible proposition, what do you suggest to get the desired sound?

5. DustinC90

DustinC90

Jul 28, 2012
    The bridge is currently broken, because the previous owner was a bit aggressive.

6. Agreed, a larger mass bridge won't have much of an affect compared to the pup locations you're talking about. P pup in the sweet spot is both deep and aggressive, maybe a reverse P if you want something different. And a J at the bridge is the other part.

7. DustinC90

DustinC90

Jul 28, 2012
    Bump