1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need new Cab for BX1200.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phry, May 3, 2010.

1. Phry

Phry

May 3, 2010
    Hello, new here and decided to drop by Talk Bass since UG doesn't really focus enough on Bass so I thought I'd probably find a better home here.

Anyways, I currently run a Carvin BX1200, usually Bi-amped with a Trace Elliot 1028H and a custom built 1x15 cab. Both run at 8ohms. So here's the thing, seeing as how I use Bi-Amp, when I go out to play shows and crap I usually only bring one cab with me since my Amp gets DI to the PA anyways. Now another thing is that when I get DI, the EQ settings and everything is set for my 2 cabs and when I turn off my Crossover it kinda sounds like garbage, which is what is going through the PA.

So the question is, is there a good cab I can find that can cover lows and highs pretty well so that I don't have to deal with this? I see a 4x10 cab being pretty common, is there a reason for this? I was thinkin of maybe just getting 2x12 or something but it's kinda hard to find a Cab that can handle high wattage since I want to try to make use of as much power as I can out of this Head. I play a 5-String and I like to get a good low sound without it being so low that it gets a bit muddy. Which is what I'm getting with my 15" cab.

So I'm pretty much just lookin for advice... Got any? Haha.

Thanks.

2. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    I just got the Carvin BRX10.4 NEO and it will give you all the lows you can handle. You can run that amp bridged at full volume and that cab will ask for more. Mine handles a low C like its nobody's business.

3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    What is your budget? Is weight a major factor? I run a BX500 though a 4 ohm Schroeder 1215L and it is amazingly loud and deep, with punchy mids The low b is clear and distinct.

4. I run my BX1200 bridged through an LDS 15/6.5 cab. It's a great full range cab, so covering highs and lows isn't a problem.

[​IMG]

5. Phry

Phry

May 3, 2010
    Have you tried pushing anything lower than a C on that? Cuz I might soon go down to A and I already play at B. But that's a pretty good price and it looks like it's made to handle the BX1200, haha.

The Schroeder Cab looks pretty freakin sweet. Seems really compact too which is nice.

My budget is pretty much anything. I'm not saying I'm rich, but I'm willing to save and fork out as much as I need to as long as it's reasonable and worth it.

6. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    Gatorben24 can up to try it out after I got and he plays a 5er and he sounded a half step detuned. He was impressed enough to go buy the cab two days later.

7. Phry

Phry

May 3, 2010
    Hmm, those schroeder cabs sure do cost quite a bit compared to some other stuff. Maybe I should look into it and figure out if it's right for me or not.

Would I lose a lot of lows if I ditched the 15 and went with 12s and 10s instead of maybe a 1215 or 1015 setup?

8. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have the Carvin BRX2.10 for my backup cab and it goes plenty low. So the BRX4.10 would go lower and be a better match for the amp. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

9. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    Speaker diameter doesn't mean lower sound. The speaker cab is almost more important than the speaker. I'm going to speak about just Carvin because it is what I know, but the BRX 10.4 NEO hits lower and cleaner than the BX1500 teamed up with the BR10.4 AND the BR118 combined.

10. Phry

Phry

May 3, 2010
    Orly? How would you compare the 2 cabs to each other?

11. My rig 2 yrs ago - BX1200 w/BRX10.4 neo cab

102_0028.