1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need new "height-adjuster"

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Chris Paget, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Chris Paget

Chris Paget

Sep 1, 2008
    OK, so I'm not sure of the right terminology here - I'm looking for the piece that is the height adjustable 'stand' or post that is attached to the bottom of the bass. My bass came with a very pointed, metal one that would probably be considered a functional hunting weapon in most parts of the world.

I was recently at a concert where the bass player had a rounded, black, plastic one. With this one, you would not have to worry about digging a hole through your floor (or carrying around the plastic floorpiece to prevent that), or piercing a bandmate (I already have a nice scratch on my leg from walking by it).

Could anyone provide what this is called or where I can find one? Many thanks!!

2. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Provided your end pin (that's what it's called btw) is functioning, you should be able to get a hold of something to screw on the tip. If you have a half decent music shop nearby, they might have something like the "super endpin ball" for under 20 bucks.

If that's not what the fellow playing at the concert had, it might be more like the custom endpins from KC strings (they have an online store) or Johnny Atomic here.

I made my own. 1" hardwood dowel cut to length, a 2 dollar crutch tip, and the leftover metal rod from my old endpin. Ugly but functional.

3. uprightben

uprightben

Nov 3, 2006
    Boone, NC
    I just take a synthetic wine cork and bore out a big enough hole to get it over the tip. It doesn't slip and outlast any commercial product I've ever seen.

4. Chris Paget

Chris Paget

Sep 1, 2008
    Those KC strings end pins look really nice.
    Thanks for your advice guys. I have to say I am real tempted to try out the wine cork, with custom bored hole of course :D

5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    And you get to dispose of the contents of the bottle right away! :D

6. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    These are nice if your endpin will fit it. They work really well:

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product_details.cfm?ProdID=1366

I have one stuck on the bottom of a 10mm carbon fiber rod and it works well. Doesn't slip at any angle, lasts and lasts, and stay on the pin. No downside, for me.

P.S. I try to really avoid brushing into one's bass as it lays on its side. I also try to lay it down away from any stage/room traffic. Worse things can happen than a scratch on the leg if one knocks the bass over on its face. Just another thought.

7. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Eric - did you get the end pin ball from Bob? I'm just wondering about longevity. The L&M up here carries something that looks identical but after wearing through 2 of them in a 3 month period I gave up on them. Maybe the ones that Bob has are made out of harder rubber -?

8. uprightben

uprightben

Nov 3, 2006
    Boone, NC
    "The L&M up here carries something that looks identical but after wearing through 2 of them in a 3 month period I gave up on them."

This is why I use a wine cork. I've had my bass for seven years and I'm only on my second one. Plus they don't cost me anything because I'm gonna drink wine either way.:hyper:

9. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    The pin I built cost me about $4.88. So far it's outlasted anything else.

10. EggyToast

EggyToast

Jan 21, 2006
    Baltimore
    What about Kay pins (.5")? Like everyone, the rubber on my pin is split and pokes the floor if the bass is straight up. Bob Gollihur's site has a makeshift fix using tips from Ace Hardware, but the only actual Ace Hardware around me doesn't have any in stock. And it seems Bob lucked out -- Ace is the only place where I've seen both rubber & vinyl, as it appears every other hardware store has crappy small vinyl caps/tips.

I'm afraid if I went with a cork I wouldn't have a whole lot of cork left! Or it would look like I tried to skewer one in half lengthwise ;D

11. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    I have just received a KC Strings end pin, a wooden one with the carbon fiber rod. I ordered it giving the diameter of my metal rod and it came as specified. The end pin has improved the sound of my bass and it created a significant difference compared with the metal rod. Chuck Traeger in his book states that the replacement of the metal rod with a wooden one is necessary for optimum sound and he's right for one more time.
    Michael

12. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Does it look like this? Just order one from Johnny Atomic, he'll make a real beauty for you.

DSCN2743.

13. that shiny metal one in this pic is totally bad@$$, but it ain't one of mine. :D