1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Parallel/Series Jazz Bass Schematics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    While my first choice for my J Bass would've been volume/blend/tone, I know that's not doable. So...I'll be going volume/volume/tone, with a push/pull pot in one of the positions to swap between series and parallel.

I've looked through these threads but haven't seen a schmatic yet. Can any of you point me in the right direction? (Note: These are Fralin split-jazz pups - they each have THREE wires).

Thanks, everyone!

2. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I don't have a schematic, but if you want a prewired solution for not too much at all, check out the series/parallel pre-wired jazz bass harness at:

http://www.bayoucables.com/custom-wiring-harnesses-c-34.html

Resonable price for quality components pre-wired, I'd say. I just ordered one today. I understand they come with easy to follow pickup connections/instructions. In your case with multiple wires, you may want to call the owner, Butch, a very knowledgeable guy. Hope it helps.

3. Just did a mod like this...about to do another.

There is a good diagram at seymourduncan.com under support, then wiring diagrams.

Another one, slightly different at guitar-mod.com

*just curious...why is V/B/T not doable?

4. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    From what I've been told, passive basses do not work well with blends. When you center the blend, the overall volume will be much lower than when you dial it either way. As you turn it toward one pickup of the other, it will get even louder. That is why Fender has never put a blend control on a passive jazz bass. That is also why preamps are used. Preamps have active buffers that isolate the pickups from each other so that will not happen. So, it's not entirely "non-doable", but the results may not be what you had in mind.

5. I'll have to look into that a little more. When I got my J45s Bill sent me a wiring diagram (passive) V/B/T, I have a blend knob here, I'll try it in my mod bass, see if there is that situation, and I'll try to get Bill's thoughts on this too.

6. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Please do check back in with your results if you get a chance. I'd love to hear the results on the passive blend wiring mod. Personally, I've never tried a blend configuration in a passive bass. I've always played active basses until just very recently. Although I've been told there will be a lowering of volume in the "both pickups on full" setting, I wonder just how much lower than in "pan" mode. To be honest, I spend 80-90% of my time with both pickups on full. A slight volume increase during panning may be something I'm willing to tolerate, given both the pickups overall output is not unacceptably limited during the "both full on" (blend at dead-center) position.

7. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Everyone, appreciate the input.

I looked on the Fralin website, but didn't find an email...will have to call later. Would the 3rd wire on these pups be for a coil tap (to split?)

I've found several diagrams, but none show the parallel/series layout w/ the 3rd wire.

Thanks again!

8. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    JazzSeriesParalllelDiag.

9. Can this be done with standard Fender active J electronics/basses?

Jimbob

10. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    Hi i would like to see there wiring diagrame s to see what the 3 wire is did they give you a standard wiring diagrame ?

11. it is my understanding that the pickups will drop slightly in volume regardless if you use a blend pot, or separate volumes because of the phase of each pickup.

12. I play a Fender MB-5 (not a Squier)

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/55U-3543.htm

It just happens to have two passive j-bass pickups, wired with a blend control - and that is how it came, right from Fender in Japan.

Is the volume lower with the blend centered? Yep. Is it a huge amount? No.

13. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Well there we have it, apparently they did at on at least one model it seems. I wish they'd offer it on all passive basses, but you can't please everybody I suppose. Personally, I can't stand having two separate volumes. I've played actives for so long, it's what I've become accustomed to - having a single volume knob. I like the ability to shut down the volume in one quick turn, not two. Thanks for the info on that model, it seems there may be hope for a new passive guy like me after all. :cool:

14. According to Bill Lawrence.

You put a Capacitor on the blend knob (between the middle and right lug), he mentions *try: .02 .03 .05 .1

15. Sorry for the size....this way you can print with detail.

[​IMG]

16. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    After more internet research, I found this passive Jazz bass harness from HAS-Sound which features a single master volume, series parallel mode & among other things, a passive midrange cut feature.

http://www.has-sound.com/harnesses.htm#Bass%20Harnesses

And a similar harness from Rothstein Guitars that I believe also offers an optional passive midrange cut feature, if so desired. This site also has very nice sound samples:

http://www.guitar-mod.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=J100&Category_Code=PJA

17. I have an SX Jazz that I'm going to modify to be the same when I get a chance.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=jazz_bass_blend

Should pretty much be what you're looking for.

18. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area