Need some advice adjusting used bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Caimanson, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Caimanson

Caimanson

Dec 2, 2007
    Hi,
    I recently got a Hohner B-bass from ebay, and I have a couple of problems.

One is that I like really low action, but I have to increase the string height more than I would like to avoid fret buzzing. If I were to put a new nut with the slots slightly higher than the existing ones will that help?

The other is that one of the frets is loose in one edge, would a quick squirt of superglue be enough??

Thanks!

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Don't go messing with super glue unless you know what you're doing. You could end up creating a permanent problem instead of a temporary one. Chances are that your buzz is caused by one or two high frets - use a straight edge running up and down the neck and see if you can find a fret that's sitting a bit high. I had a tech level a couple of my problem frets for just $30 - WELL worth it.

I'd go to a tech and ask him to check the frets and fix the loose one.

And congrats on the Hohner!! I think those are very cool basses.

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    The nut affect action at the first fret, for the most part. Some will claim that it can affect the way the neck feels to the third fret. The important thing is that it does not have an effect beyond the extreme low positions on the neck.

Where are the buzzes? Are they mid-neck or at the high end? More information posted here will help getting specific advice for these problems.

4. Caimanson

Caimanson

Dec 2, 2007
    Hi,
    The fret buzzing happens mostly around the middle of the neck, notes between the 9th and 12th frets mostly, I have the neck as straight as possible. The string height (from bottom of string to fretboard) is between 4-4.5mm at the 12th fret.

The problem fret is definetely loose, its the 17th fret edge on the treble side. I rarely play that high, I just want to avoid it getting worse.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You may have the neck too straight. It does need some relief. You probably need some professional work done to get super low action on that bass. Take it in and show the problem to the bass tech. Plat it for him so he can see the problem. The cost depends on how much work needs to be done. Get him to fix the loose fret too.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA

+1. Sounds like your neck doesn't have enough relief. Disclaimer: there are a handful of TBers who tout the benefits of playing a perfectly straight neck. I've never been able to pull it off. You might want to check out the "Set-up" stickies listed on this forum.

Riis

7. Caimanson

Caimanson

Dec 2, 2007
    Thanks, I'll try to add some neck relief.

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Here's a shortcut tip: If you depress the string directly above the 1st and 17th - 19th fret, the gap between the string and 9th - 12th fret should be about the thickness of a single business card. I've gotten pretty good at eyeballing it as I have not yet grown a third arm.

Give us a follow-up report!

Riis

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021