Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some advice on this Terratec Midi Keyboard

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mz91, Jan 28, 2004.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    http://www.music.ch/de/modules/myAds/index.php?pa=viewannonces&lid=3393

Ive been wanting to get into Home Recording for awhile now. And i saw this keyboard on the net for $40. I thought id snatch it and use it for recording. The only problem is, i have no idea what the thing can do.
    If any of you can help me id really appreciate it.
    If i buy it i would need to buy some sort of a synth program for the pc correct? I am totally new to this and although ive read a bit on home recording, im not to sure if i need this thing. But its really cheap and i dont want to pass this up and regret it later when i know i could have used it. ;)

Thanks in advance.

Michael

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    To use it with a computer, you will need a MIDI input.

That can be on your sound card, or you can get one of those adaptors that let's you plug MIDI into USB on your computer.

Then you will need some sort of sequencing/synth application, MY favorite is Reason, but it's kind of expensive($260)

Or, there are many free midi sequencing programs, that use general MIDI, which is the really cheap sounding crap you hear all over the place. It's fine for reference, but I wouldn't release a song with it ;)

That keyboard looks like it might have sounds built in, if that's the case, you could use it's line-out, into your computer, and record the audio that way.

One thing to keep in mind about midi that eludes a lot of people.

MIDI is DATA, it is data that tells the computer to make noise. In that respect, it's very easy and intuitive to work with MIDI sequencing.

Whereas recording from a line-in would be AUDIO soundwaves ya know?