1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need some advice- Stingray with a svt3-pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JeremyStingray, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I have been out of the game for the last five years or so. I want to start playing again. Since I have little room in my apt and I am not gigging at this point I would like to switch up my setup to lighter and smaller equipment. It seems Like much has changed in the last few years with gear. I currently have an swr senior goliath 6'10 cab (which I am selling) and a ampeg 4'10 cab (probably 10 years old), ampeg svt3-pro head and I play a five string sting ray.

The dillema,

I would love to gig again and would like something that can match the power of my current ampeg setup. Also, I love the tone of my ampeg head.

I am contemplating selling all of my gear (not my bass) and starting over. Or I am thinking about keeping my head and getting a new cab. (any lightweight ampegs that would work?).

Or any other recommendations concerning a setup that would match my bass. I played an Acoustic setup at guitar center today. I wasn't too impressed. It was powerful and clear but had no warmth.

Thanks ahead of time

2. hoshbrown41

hoshbrown41

Jun 19, 2009
    I play an Stingray5 through a SVT-6pro and a 410HLF, love it, and often get complimented on it - so it's something you could consider.

If you want something smaller - to match your "little room" - I'd try the MicroVR series. They can get pretty loud considering their size - especially if you double up two 210s. Markbass has some really nice, compact models too.

Oh and (IMHO) Acoustic amplification is very, very unimpressive.

3. Not sure what you are doing at this point. You want to sell everything and desire something to match the tone you already have and obviously like? I highly suggest you keep all of your gear for the time being. Find other local bass players and check out nearby stores for other bass gear to try out. Even though you may not gigging, why sell everything you have just to buy it all back when you have a future gig? Talk about wasting money.... Chill out for the time being and do some more research before selling your gear.

As far as gear that matches your bass, that is for you to decide. It really depends on what kind of tone you are going for.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A head like the PF500 would be cool for you, but the hard part will be replacing your cab. If you have a 410HLF, you're not going to find a smaller cab in the Ampeg line (or anyone else's) that does what it does. And if you have a 410HE, you'd need two smaller cabs to do what it does.

5. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    You might try SVT-7PRo and Pro Neo 410HLF. A little different sound, but still Ampeg, and more portable.

6. I forgot that I ever posted this. I got rid of my Head and cab. I am happy I did so since I had little room in a small apt at the time.

I just started playing again and its been such a rush. I am getting the bug again and starting to think about gear.

There is a lot of amazing lightweight gear out now as well so I have a lot to choose from.

Thanks again,
    Jeremy

7. Sounds like you are happy! Plays as much gear as possible with YOUR BASS and make an informed decision. Good luck on the search. Don't forget about buying used.....

8. Thanks! Will do

9. Okay, I finally made the jump into some new gear.

I just purchased a MarkBass Little Mark Tube 800 and a Traveler 102p!

It was an absolute steal. AT GC the green tag is $625 for the head. I also got an extra $200 off with the cab.

The plan is to add a 1'15 cab later on down the road as needed.

I spent time with the amp and absolutely love the tone of it with my MM5. With the tube preamp it just vibrates and sings so sweetly.

I am once again one happy Bassist!

Thanks all!

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Another identical 210 would be the better choice.

11. +1

12. Thanks, the day will come