Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some help Pups & rigs

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by buffalobillh, Jul 20, 2005.

1. buffalobillh

buffalobillh

Jul 20, 2005
    Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Samuel Shen Basses, NS Design, D'Addario Strings
    I've been playing upright for 15 years. I'm a tuba player that does most of his work on UB and EB. My current setup is a '63 Kay, Shaller magnetic Pup, Eurosonics, Fishman Pro preamp, Peavey Firebass 700w head, and Dietz 15" cab. The Peavey/Dietz setup is fantastic for EB, but I'm having trouble getting the UB sound I want. The never-ending search for sound, huh? I want the Bob Moore sound - very elusive.

I would love to play a gut setup w/ appropriate Pup, but most work requires volume (big band, classic country, western swing - NO arco), hence the Shaller/Eurosonic setup. I had a Fishman 100(?), and it fed back all night. I've also thought about a different amp/cab setup. I've seen some guys in Austin use an Ampeg 4/10 cab, unsure of amp. I've never played a Contra amp. Even thought of trying a K&K Bass Max before buying an amp/cab, but I don't know about the volume issue. Not going to buy a Barbera just to try it. You guys have suggestions as to which way to go?
    Thanks.

Bill

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'm not familiar with Bob Moore's sound, but a quick Google shows that his recordings are from the 50's mainly? If this is the case, you're not likely to get what you're looking for from a magnetic pickup. Mag pickups just turn your bass into a giant Fender Precision.

For high-volume situations, your next choice for a more natural sound will be piezo pickups (or the Schertler pickups, which are a contact mic, I believe). There are a bunch of these and a lot already written in the 'Newbies' links. Check those out for specifics.

It's generally agreed upon that 15" cabinets, and Slab amp rigs in general, don't work too well for bass. My pref is 12" drivers in a smaller cabinet, and there is a lot of info on amps and cabs in the 'Newbie' links as well. If you have the money, you'll probably want an outboard amp and cabinet rather than a combo amp, as you'll have a lot more room to experiment.

3. buffalobillh

buffalobillh

Jul 20, 2005
    Texas
    Thanks, Ray. I'm doing research right now.

Bill

4. Welcome Bill

I dont know much about Eurosonics but if you are after the gut sound-get gut. A gut D & G will probably work with your existing E & A.

As far as your rig...the first thing I would do is get a stomp box eq such as a Dod or Boss for further control. You can dial out all the nasties and it works as a preamp. I have yet to play through a rig that this did not improve the tone.

Also, ditto what Ray said above. You should, however, find a decent sound with your current rig (+stomp eq )with a change in pickup to something such as a K&K bass max. Ive been out of the talkbass loop for a while now but I read that the new Revolution Solo from Upton is also a good choice...if you still do not find "that sound" , try different amp and speaker combinations. I find that a regular pa amp works better than most "made for eb" amps out there.

My club bass is setup with steel E/A, gut D/G,bass max, pa amp, small mixer, SWR 410 or a 210 and a dod stomp eq. This setup is capable of more volume (before feedback) than I care to use.

A couple of notes on the bass max...You have to play around with it to find the sweet spot. For instance...I like mine on the G side of the bridge with a certain side up. Also helps to place a towel or foam between the top of the bass and the tailpiece.

5. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    Just to echo the other guys here, first thing I would change is the pickup. A magnetic pickup will never sound natural. If that doesn't get you there, try smaller speakers. You should be close by then.

6. buffalobillh

buffalobillh

Jul 20, 2005
    Texas
    FD,

I've seen a Boss GEB-7 bass eq. Am I in the ball park?

Larry,

Gut tends to be expensive. That will be the last thing I purchase, I'm sure (next to a new rig, of course). Anything I should look for in gut strings? I understand there is minimal maintance, but for pizz only (no slap either) is there a brand you guys think I should consider?

Thanks.

Bill

7. Thats right.

I have 2 of these...I love'em.

I have never used the Boss version.

[​IMG]

If you are near Austin, check out Mark Rubin. He plays db and tuba and just recently joined talkbass. :hyper:

8. buffalobillh

buffalobillh

Jul 20, 2005
    Texas
    Thanks, FD. I know of Mark, though not personally. I may shoot him an email.

Bill

9. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    The Schertler is a wonderful sounding pickup, but I'm concerned that it
    could possibly give you feedback. I would think that the Schertler Stat B
    would be a better choice than the Dyna B, since the company recommends them for higher volume levels.
    "Ideal for fusion and Jazz where loud amplifier levels must not present a handicap" (from the Schertler Catalog)
    A lot of players from St. Louis used that Schaller Pickup and
    I have to say that it sounded really good for a magnetic pickup
    on several different basses.
    Unfortunately, since the Schertler has a cork that has to
    be custom fitted to your bass it's not very likely that you
    could borrow one to test it out. The cork is removable so
    it you can get you're hands on one it would be wise to
    check it out in your playing situation. Good Luck

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm using a bassmax pup, and either an eden navigator pre with qsc power amp, eden wt800, or Thunderfunk TFB420, with either a Schroeder 410 (awesome), or an Avatar SB112 (great cab for the price, but it's crossover and tweeter need tweaks).
    I also have an swr super redhead 2x10 that works well, and an swr baby blue II 2x8 I like a lot for small venues.

HTH-Chef