Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need some help with Wild Nights

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Tony Canevaro, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    Hi All,

Beginning bassist here. I'm trying to teach myself "Wild Nights" by John Mellencamp. I have a tab here and I have the recording as well as "amazing slow-downer".

My ear isn't very good at all but when I play from the tab:
    G__________________________________!
    D__________5_______________________!
    A________7___7___5_____5___________!
    E___________________7______________!

It doesn't sound like the right pitch for the song. The notes the tab is asking for are: F on the A string, A on the D string, F on the A string, E on the A string, C on the E string, E on the A string. Of course, the tab doesn't give me a time signature to work with (I am 33 and really new at reading and playing music so this is really stretching my brain right now) but the song seems to use 1/4 notes and 1/8th notes but I can't make heads or tails of which ones are which.

Anyone have an MP3 of this song handy and can help me with some ear training?

Many thanks!

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Where did you get the tab? Hopefully not online. If you are new, you might not know yet that almost none of the tab on the internet is 100% correct. Almost every tab that you can find online has mistakes. Some of it (a lot) is just garbage. Very little is good. A lot of the tab posted to the web was done by kids less than half your age with no more experience than you have right now - only you seem to know what notes you are playing and know the difference between a 1/4 note and an 1/8 note so you are probably more advanced than a lot of the kids posting tabs on the web. If your ears think the tab is wrong - it probably is. Play what's right.
    If the tab wasn't from the web, and rather was from a legitimate music book such as those published by Hal Leonard or something, then disregard my post entirely. Good luck.

3. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    Yep, I got it online.
    However, I have already discovered what you are warning me about Matthew, thanks! -edit- Now if I could just get my 15 year old who is learning the guitar to realize this and get him to realize that he would benefit from learning to read some music there would be a lot less stress in our house :rolleyes: -end edit-
    My current situation makes it very difficult to get tab other than from the net. I am in a small town with no sheet music shop and I haven't been able to find a decent source in the next largest community either. I have been trying to develop my ear and learn something besides the excercises in my Hal Leonard Bass#1 book so I can actually play a song. I like this song and it has a recognisable & (seemingly) simple bass line...it is just frustrating that I can't put the two together yet.

So I come here to see if some of these very experience bass players can help me out.

Thanks!

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Well, just don't be led astray by a bad tab.
    You say you can hear the bass part in the recording.
    Can you "hear" it in your head without the recording?
    Can you sing it?
    If so, then you just have to match each pitch - go slow, and make sure each note is right. Practice it slow, then bring it up to speed and see how it sounds. When you think you've got it figured out, play along with the recording.
    Get rid of the tab, it'll only confuse the issue.

5. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

I have 'The Police' bass sheet music book (there's only one) and while the sheet music is correct, the tab isn't. So it's not just tabs on the internet, but tab in general.

6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    That looks almost right to me.

I do the initial "thonk" on the open E and then start the walking lick at the 5-on-D you see above. Lemme see if I can ASCII-tab how I play it... each dash will be an 8th note...

G --------|--------|---12----|---12----||
    D ---5----|---5----|----[trill]|----[trill]||
    A ----75-5|----75--|--------|--------||
    E 0-----7-|0-----70|3------0|3-------||

NOTE:the trill indicated, I can't remember right now if it's a 10/12 trill or an 11/12 trill on the D. In the original version of the song there's another walk, but Me'Shell plays the trill most of the time I *think*.

Lemme know if this helps =0)

7. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I just noticed this as well - you've got your notes incorrect! 7th fret of the A string is an E, and the 7th fret on the E string is a B - you sure you're not playing the 8th fret?

=0)

8. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004

Doh! I play the 7th fret...just counted to wrong frets when I wrote the above.

By the way... whats a trill?

9. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    A trill is just a rapid hammer-on and pull-off action (as relates to guitar and bass, at least) - you're playing two notes back and forth quickly.

In this example, it's right after the high G... it goes [12th fret G] followed by a fast [10-12-10-12-10-12-10-12 on D] done by holding the D string down at the 10th fret and then bouncing a free finger on and off at the 12th fairly fast (they're only 16th notes in this example). As indicated above, this might be 11 and 12 instead of 10 and 12, I dont have a bass with me at the moment.

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    This doesn't belong here.... off to the Tab forum.

11. Tony Canevaro

Tony Canevaro

Jan 4, 2004
    Darn.

The techinque forum is where I wanted this thread. It wasn't about the tab...it was about how to play the song.

Pacman, if you read this, do you have any advice to offer?

12. The trill is 11/12. :)

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Doesn't sound like a trill to me. I just throw some wicked vibrato on the 11th fret. (Db)

I'd also like to say that I haven't heard this song in forever, but it sounds cool to me.

14. Sky71

Sky71

May 11, 2014
    Arizona
    Yes, an old thread bump, but very relevant for me.

Does anyone happen to have, or know where I can find the full tab for this song? Seems everywhere I have checked online only has the main lick which none seem to sound correct except for jammadave's version (belated thank you for that even though im new here). But I would like to be able to play along with the song in its entirety from start to finish.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

15. Does anyone happen to have, or know where I can find the full tab for this song? Seems everywhere I have checked online only has the main lick which none seem to sound correct except for jammadave's version (belated thank you for that even though im new here). But I would like to be able to play along with the song in its entirety from start to finish. [/QUOTE] it's in an old gw mag oct 94 iirc.....i have it somewhere but i'll have to dig

16. Sky71

Sky71

May 11, 2014
    Arizona
    I'm glad you reminded me of that! I completely forgot that GW includes bass tabs along with the guitar tabs, and I have a whole stack of them. Unfortunately Oct. 94 is one of the ones I don't have. But ill keep checking through the stack anyways just in case.

17. i sent someone a copy of van morrison's version,but i don't recall who....maybe try that...it's more difficult,but fun'n'ner imho....