Need some information on recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by QzarBaron, May 2, 2005.

1. I am starting a band with a couple of friends and there are also several small bands that I know that need some recording. I want to start a small studio (nothing fancy, just enough to get some good demo tracks) to record a lot of these bands.

I know very little about recording. I have been trying my best to pick up as much information from the several threads out there but it's kind of hard to piece it togeather. What I really need is some information on the recording process. The kind of hardware required and the role it plays in the recording. I want this explained to someone who knows very little about recording.

I know there are several recording methods but how are they done? are the amps lined out to a recording device or do you use microphones next to the amps?

I know there is the computer route. I have an excellent computer that could be rigged up to do the recording well... the problem is as far as I know you can only record 1 or so instruments at a time. This could be a problem for some bands.

Most of the bands I am hoping to record are underground punk bands which don't require amazing recording quality. I don't want to spend too much money into this. I could among a couple of my friends scrap up around 300 plus the equipment we already have (amps/mics/PA system and stuff). Our budget could expand if needed though.

If you guys could help me out or give me some links of places that explain this well that would be great.