1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need some new metal to listen to.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by marshmallow83, Sep 22, 2008.

1. marshmallow83

marshmallow83

Oct 6, 2007
    So I've become a little bored recently with my music library. Partly due to the fact that my Itunes has stopped working, and has deleted my library of 13 days worth of music along with it :crying:

I've been trying to branch out into a little more metal recently. I'm a fairly big metal head to begin with, I listen to stuff such as Cannibal Corpse, Lamb of God, Machine Head, Pantera, Metallica, mostly thrash/groove metal. I would like to start listening to more bands within those genres, but am willing to branch out to other sub-genres. I'm not a big fan of war/power metal etc, but I'm willing to give it a go.

Also, it's not really metal, but does anyone know some bands that sort of like SOAD/RATM? I'm a HUGE fan of 'political' music, and would like to listen to some more of that, too.

Thanks guys, any help is appreciated. (Sorry if I offend anyone in anyway, if I called a band metal when it's not, etc).

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Sepultura - the great granddaddies of political metal. Strapping Young Lad, Meshuggah, and Mastodon are also worth listening to - and are quite possibly the only really interesting metal going right now.

If you want to hear something REALLY heavy, check out some Igor Stravinsky. The dude wrote a symphony that quite literally caused a riot. Now THAT's heavy.

3. Red Sparrows- Post-metal with a lap-steel and excellent bass lines

4. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Electric Wizard.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Between the Buried and Me is heavy and very good. Plus one to everything senator McStrange said also, though I do believe there is more out there, like Gojira. Your probably already familiar with Decapitated and Neurosis, in terms of metal I like those two these days.

6. marshmallow83

marshmallow83

Oct 6, 2007
    Thanks for replies guys. I'm gonna go to bed, so I'll catch up with the thread tomorrow.

7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Senator Mcstrange... I like the sound of that. Has a nice ring to it.

8. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Some Doom, Stoner, Sludge, Post, and Black:
    Amenra, Boris, Om, Sleep, The Sword, Wolves in the Throne Room, ISIS, Pelican, Swarm of the Lotus, Agalloch.

9. listen to gojira theyve got sum serious groove goin on, they're an environmental based band aswell

10. Not the right metal genre but I'll throw some good bands that haven't been mentioned - Sleep, Crowbar, Kyuss, Baroness, Acid Bath, Godflesh, High on Fire, Opeth, Island, Middian/YOB, Nachtmystium, Nile, Orange Goblin, Russian Circles, Corrosion of Conformity.

Theres some bands that other people didn't mention yet that are pretty badass that span several different metal genres. HF

11. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Yeah, good list. I just felt like 10 bands was already too much to rec or most of these would have been on my list above.

12. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL

13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA

14. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    +1 to the heaviest band i've heard from France

you could also check out some Sikth. even thought they just recently broke up.

15. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    One word: ISIS.

16. The Sword and/or Bongzilla.

17. New old metal. Listen to Maiden's Brave New World, Dance of Death and A Matter of Life and Death. All 3 of those albums recorded since Bruce and Adrian re-joined the band in 1999 show a mature, heavy band who have progressed way beyond Run to the Hills. A Matter of Life and Death is quite possibly the heaviest and strongest album Maiden have ever recorded. Front to back the album kicks a$$. :bassist: Plus Steve is so on top of his game it's just ridiculous.

18. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gojira, Amorphus, Unearth, Opeth, Devildriver... theres some suggestions

19. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Ever listen to DROID?

20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member