Need Some Referrences for some Pickups

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Ben Vail, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Ben Vail

Ben Vail

Jul 29, 2005
    Los Angeles
    My school's jazz program's double bass was borrowed by the orchestra department and they somehow completely screwed up our pickup.

I am an electric bass guitar guy who is just starting to pick up the double bass, so I don't know much about the leading companies/makers, and the difference between the different types and styles of pickups.

If somebody could recommend me a good sounded pickup that I could hook up for my school to purchase? Price does matter with the low budget situations, but it is very needed at the moment.
  2. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I'm sure more people will chime in but I would say K&K Bass Max. Its just like an underwood, only on one side of the bridge and about half the cost. Just make sure it is a snug fit in the bridge (you may have to sand the bridge a bit or add some shims [sax reeds are perfect]).

I think AH Bob has them very reasonably on his site. I used that pickup for a while and still have it as a backup at home.
  3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Well, with the Bass Max, you will likely have to modify the bridge wing for it to fit. As long as you're doing some modifying, I'd go with the Rev. Solo. You'll modify the ickup to fit the bridge and not the other way around. To my ears, (yes, I've used both) in terms of sound, the Rev. Solo blows away the Bass Max. Just read the reviews on this site.