1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need some serious advice on a rig set up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xkmattx, May 11, 2011.

1. xkmattx

xkmattx

May 8, 2011
    I currently have a GK700rbii amp and a ampeg svt 410he cab. It sounds great at lower volumes but really starts to fart out at about 5 on the volume, especially with my 5 string warwick bass.

I have about 1100 dollars to spend, and about another 600-800 if i sell my current rig.

Im not looking for a tube amp, nor an 810. But i do want something that will get loud and handle low end via 5 string as well as high en via 6 string.

I was looking into Carvin bx1500 amp and maybe a 410 and 115 to run it through. I can get this set up for around what im looking to spend, but being new to live bass rigs i am very "green" when it comes to these things and am wondering if i should take a different approach.

Also, i play everything from funk and rock to pop and metal.

i really appreciate your time and advice
    thanks in advance
    xkmattx

Ps i also live up stairs and need to have 2 cabs since i cant lift an 810 up and down stairs 3-4x a week

2. The GK is a very strong head. I don't think the farting comes from the head. Is it the box? Low battery in the bass?
    Do not push the 5 string switch, since that just boosts the very low end which the cab cannot really produce.
    How loud do you play?

3. xkmattx

xkmattx

May 8, 2011
    The cab is deffintely the cause of the farting. And it happends at about 5 volume 5 woofer level. I thought about keeping the gk 700rbii and going for just the carvin 410 and 115 both 8 ohm for. 4 ohm load but I am concerned the head will not push the cabs enough being only 480 watts at 4ohms

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    My 02: Try an Avatar TB153. Lighter than your 410 and way under your budget. Will easily allow you to max out your head's volume without farting and will go lower then your 410.

5. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I don't think that cab should be farting out, unless you have your bass eq turned WAY up. I would try messing with the EQ first, and see if that allows you to get the proper volume.

6. That head will push virtually any cab hard enough.

Try raising the Woofer/Master control to 9:00 0r 10:00, and backing down the Volume to a desirable level. That will give you the cleanest signal from the amp if the Boost isn't too high.

7. jg919

jg919

Jul 7, 2010
    NSW Australia
    Hi!
    I honestly, honestly don't think you need to consider a new rig - what you have is some great gear, and is all you would need for most applications (in my opinion).

First, I would try foregoing only $50-150 on a compressor (MXR dynacomp for example), and seeing if this stops the 'farting' - this will also even out your volume, and enhance the overall sound of your bass (Warwick 5's sound GREAT with a good dose of comp!)

If this works for you, get an overdrive/dist/fuzz pedal for the metal tones - this will give you a variety of sound textures. Placing the OD/DIST/FUZZ after compression is most effective.

If your still unhappy with your rig (I know many good player who get along with less than this), then maybe consider a different cab setup - experiment with the sound of 15's VS 10's and even 12's - you may find you like the depth of 15's more than the punch of 10's (?)

Anyway, I hope this short snippet of suggestion helps - I doubt taking out a mortgage on an all-tube rig will satisfy your requirements, based on your description of your predicament.
    All the best! JOHN

8. Also, don't mix and match the 410 and 115, it seems like a good idea, but in reality, the 4 10s overpower the 15 and you'd then be limited to how good the 115. There's heaps of threads that explain it better if you have a look :)

9. FWIW.....When I switched to 410 cab in 2005, I A/B'd a 410 HLF against an SWR Goliath III. The G III won out because it stayed cleaner as it got louder in the lowest frequencies. The Ampeg started to distort at a considerably lower volume.

I'd definitely consider the Avatar TB153 (or two), or a pair of Avatar 212 Neos.

10. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    It's the cab. That head will get loud and low but I have not been impressed by the 410HE. It's a sweet sounding cab if you want to play classic rock on a 4 string but it doesn't handle a low B well at all.

Lomo and a few other have a good idea with the Avatar TB153. My personal preference is for the GB Uber series cabs.

11. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    If you like the sound of your rig (minus the farting), I'd say just work the EQ a bit like mentioned above. If you can't get a sound you like without farting, I'd say look into a different cab or cabs. I love the sound of my 810, and a lot of what I like is because it is a sealed cabinet, like your 410, but that is one area where you may be better off with a ported cab (MOST 410's are ported these days). Why not look into a matching GK 410 or two? The suggestion to try a comp may be a good solution, too, but read up on Bongo's reviews at ovnilab first (I don't think he recomends the dynacomp).

-JV

12. As a point of reference, I drop 30 and 40 Hz right out to stop my 2x10 farting but leave some 40 Hz in when using the 15 by itself. Even with a 4 string btw.

13. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    + 1 try this first.

14. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Power is good you just need to add more speakers to get the same volume, but not have to push a single cabinet so hard.

So buy another matching 410 if you dont wanna drag around a full 8x10 and run 2 matching 4x10

sensitivity jumps up with more speakers so it can actually take less power to get to the same level......8 speakers sounds better than 4 the overall sound is awesome.....

Or if 10's are not your ball game go 2x15 most likely your going to need 4 speakers total.....so 2 pairs of matching 2x15

whatever size speaker you like just stick with matching drivers and lots of them.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Agreed 100% - that same head thru an SVT-410HLF will get really loud and move lots of air - even with a low B - with the 700rb-II...

- georgestrings

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Disagree - a good 215 will get plenty loud on it's own - there aren't many gigging situations at all that would require (2X) 215s...

- georgestrings

17. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Keep the head. As for the cab, I've heard the HE is probably the most trebly of all Ampeg 410s, so maybe that's why you've had to push up the bass and hence why it farts out. If you're looking for a deep sound, I'd look into some ported cabs like the Goliath, etc.

18. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Yup, doubling your speaker surface area will give you the same 3dB bump as doubling your wattage.

The lesson here is that the overall efficiency of your cab setup is just as important as your head's rated power output in determining maximum volume.

Right, because everyone knows that optimum bass sound can only be achieved if the number of speakers in your cab configuration is a whole number multiple of 4. :eyebrow:

19. xkmattx

xkmattx

May 8, 2011
    Thanks you for all the feedback.

I did try the compression idea with my Barber tone press and turning the woofer up and volume down. it did allow me to get a bit higher in volume however still lacked the bottom that i am looking for, and when i would boost the bass on the amp or my bass's pre it would start to fart out again.

Seems the cab just isnt what im looking for.

How do the Carvin b series 410 cabs compare to other brands? As i can afford 2 410's from carvin.

Also looking at the GK neo412, thoughts comments concerns.

20. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I have the 700RB-II and I run it through a Dr. Bass 2x12" neo and 1x15" neo cab. I got both cabs for $600 and they are totally convenient to carry around.