1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need string advice for a Euro 4 LX

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by trackskinz, Jan 26, 2017.

1. trackskinz

trackskinz

Nov 1, 2011
    Band does a lot of variety but nothing too hard.

Been using GHS Pressurewounds, like them ok, maybe looking for more growl without too much finger zing.

80% fingers, 20% pick

Suggestions?

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    If you like growl without much zing, then you might wish to stick with a pressure wound string. I suggest DR Lo-Riders (stainless steel). The compressed outer wrap minimizes string noise, and the hexagonal-shaped core wire preserves some tension, allowing you to put a little muscle into your plucking or picking, at very low action, without fretting out. They'll growl for you if you stroke them nicely... ;)

MM

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    trackskinz likes this.
  3. trackskinz

trackskinz

Nov 1, 2011
    I am picky about zing because the 2 middle fingers on my fret hand were broken once and they don't retract as well as I would like. I hear good things about the DRs. Can you tell me Stainless vs nickel? Never tried either.

4. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Kalium. Either Hybrid or Steel really. Neither have too much finger noise. I personally like the steels a bit more.

5. trackskinz

trackskinz

Nov 1, 2011
    Another question: I have always played 105s but I see these made in a 110 set - what difference would you expect?

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    The differences are going to mirror the usual comparisons between the nickel and stainless steel versions of a given string, with the nickel strings being a bit warmer, a bit smoother and more traditional in tone, with a little more presence in the midrange, and the steel strings being a bit clearer, a little crispier and more aggressive, more modern in tone, with more presence in the lows and highs. Nickel strings also tend to go dead quite awhile before their stainless steel counterparts.

FWIW, I tried the nickel Lo-Riders, but wasn't impressed. Sounded a little muffled to me. The stainless Lo-Riders, however, are just about my favorite string.

MM

trackskinz likes this.
  7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I use Boomers on my Spector.