1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NEED SUGGESTIONS, LIGHTWEIGHT BASS WITH QUALITY

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by glenngre, May 28, 2012.

1. glenngre

glenngre

May 27, 2012
    been playing a little bass with a poor quality japanese, short scale, intonation always out. i have back issues, or i would get a usa fender precision. my brother has a '74 with a big tube amp, heavy. that is the sound i like. deep. traditional country, country gospel, bluegrass ish. i sprung for a martin hd35 rythem, @ $2500 which i play the most. no regrets, awesome guitar. but sometimes we have too many rythems, so i jump on bass. also i want t o lay bass tracks to accompany my solo rythem for gospel solos.
    so what i want is the lightest possible bass, with the best possible quality. new or used. thinking 600- 1200 should get me something.
    i have been just startign to read up. and its just so many factors.
    i am not the type to upgrade every 3 yrs.
    whatever i decide on, this will be my bass for a long t ime,
    so i would rather invest in a quality one now.
    prefer to buy american. but not limiting myself.
    thanks in advance for your suggestions
    glenn

2. I have some really nasty back problems, that have permanently put me on the injured list.

P-basses are the answer. If you play a bunch you'll eventually find a light one. I've got three, all around 9 lbs, but the weight is so well balanced that a 9lb P-bass feels ALOT better than a 9lb Thunderbird.

Also, a wide strap helps. Feel free to pick my brain. I've had five surgeries in the last three years, so I've really spent some time finding a bass that'll let me keep playing.

3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I can only say : Ibanez SR Premium 1200. It's a bass with very good quality and it's not heavy. Plus, the custom build pick ups, made by Nordstrand, can give you that ''old vintage'' kinda sound like an precision bass.Try to play one if you can find one around. It has a lot of control knobs, so you can mix basicly unlimited until you've got the sound you want :)

4. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    Hofner gotta be one of the lightest basses out there although it may not quite fit your style of play but you do see them being used for more then Beatles and oldies now a days..

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    +1

In your price range you can easily find an MIA P, whether it be an MIA standard or an AVRI. Both can be a little less than 8.5lbs too...

6. Fender Aerodyne

7. glenngre

glenngre

May 27, 2012
    thanks, need to head to dealer,
    question on aerodyne, is that japan?
    these " initials " responses make me think
    i am not a total rookie
    but would still classify myself as a freshman
    the avri had me stumped
    thought it was a different brand
    till i googled it
    if the aerodyne is japan,
    the avri usa has the spec's i like
    next i need to hear and play it.
    thanks
    still accepting suggestions

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i thnk that a used AVRI '57 of'62 p bass would be a great choice, and is well within your budget. IMO, it's the kind of bass that can last you a lifetime.

9. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Hofner Club bass. 5lbs, amazing tone.

10. rfslick

rfslick

Dec 31, 2008
    Benicia, CA. USA
    +2 I've had a '63 p, '64 jazz, 2 '67 Hofner 500/1's, '68 Danelectro Long Horn, '02 Danelectro DC Bass, Gibson EB1, '72 Electra P bass. I have a Rogue 405 pro that I really like. My only regret, is that I sold the '64 jazz back in about '82.
    I bought an Indonesian Hofner Ignition Club bass a few months ago, and at about 4 lbs, it plays great and looks great. I play it almost exclusively now. I play with fingers and a flat pick. I do not slap or pop.

11. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Ibanez GSR200. Super light, active electronics, from deep sound to scooped out modern... this bass does it. After a while you forget you have it on... lol.. Ibanez basses are outstanding..... good luck