1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need to Replace speaker in Ashdown 15” cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jake Massey, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Jake Massey

Jake Massey

Jul 20, 2018
    Liverpool
    At the moment, I use a Markbass Little Mark Black Line 250 through a Chinese made 15” Ashdown cab. I’ve recently bought a brilliant top-of-the-line late 90’s ABM-210 (for only £50 from a long time friend of mine) and the 2 sound brilliant, but I can’t help but notice the lack of clarity coming from the 15” cab when compared to the ABM. It was the cheapest ashdown I could buy at the time (being Chinese made and all) and I think it has a Chinese made Blueline speaker in it (I could be mistaken though, Fenders are my strong suit, not ashdowns). I want a new speaker for it, I was thinking a Celestion TF1525 but any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Jake

2. In order to successfully swap out a driver you have to identify one whose parameters will meld nicely in your existing box. Just picking one out of free air usually ends in a failure. You’ll probably get better results by trading the cabinet in against one more suitable to your needs.

AstroSonic likes this.
  3. Jake Massey

Jake Massey

Jul 20, 2018
    Liverpool
    I was thinking of trading it in if I couldn’t find a nice enough fit, do you have any suggestions cab-wise?

4. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    rural New Mexico
    +1!

We would need box and porting (if any) dimensions, and your desired tone and power handling. Also, your priority: tone or power handling/volume.

And, yes, it's likely easier and quite possibly cheaper to trade that cab in on one the meets your needs.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  5. BTW Welcome to Talk Bass. :)

Seeing as your located in the UK Barefaced would be an obvious place to start. Alex is still a member here though his logins are few and far between.

6. Jake Massey

Jake Massey

Jul 20, 2018
    Liverpool
    Thank you, and cheers for the suggestion, I’ll have a look in a minute.

7. Jake Massey

Jake Massey

Jul 20, 2018
    Liverpool
    All I know at the moment is that its 250W. I’ve got the dimensions at home but I won’t be there until tomorrow. In terms of tone and power handling, I’m looking for something that’s crisp and clear but that can still handle the power at the larger gigs (a bit like a Markbass cab, but not as expensive) if possible.

Like I said, any suggestions would be really helpful as cabs are a grey area for me.