1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need to upgrade bass->laptop interface

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by thiocyclist, Jun 12, 2014.

1. thiocyclist

thiocyclist Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2012
    I use an Apogee Jam to get my mic level instruments into my DAW but even this approach has pretty major limits in my experience (it is frustrating to keep track of clipping, basically). Is the next step up from this some kind of instrument->buffer->mixer->DAW setup? If so, what buffer and what mixer? Please help me shed some of my lingering newbishness.

2. hazmatt

hazmatt

Jun 3, 2012
    san diego
    If you are new to digital recording and having trouble with clipping, perhaps you are setting your gain too high? Unlike analog signals you want to keep your recording from going above -10db. That should keep it well clear of clipping, then you can always give it some clean digital boost in your DAW. Try to target your dynamic range from about -20 to -10db before giving up on the Apogee.