1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need to warm my tone....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vguilbault, Apr 8, 2009.

1. vguilbault

vguilbault

Dec 16, 2008
    Hi all,

First of all, this is my first post here! English is not my spoken language, so please bear with me!!!!

So here is my situation....

I have a Ampeg B2R-E amp with a Classic SVT410HLF cab. I just bought a brand new MusicMan Sterling 4 strings. It sound awesome, BUT i would like to have more warmth out of my amp..... So i'm looking at a pre-amp/stumpbox to add into my loop....

Actually, my 2 basses (I have a Cort B5 as spare and for 2-3 songs that I need the B string...) are going into a Morley ABY switch, then into a Sonic Research ST-200 Stomp Box Strobe Tuner, into a Boss DD3, then strait into my amp....

I looked at the Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver Deluxe, since it has 2 input with 3 different presets... So I could take out the ABY switch... But I'm reading some review and there is a lot of good comments, but some bad also... What I think of the SansAmp is that it won't make a good amp sound better, but it makes a cheap amp sound better..... Well, I know that my amp (ampeg B2RE) is a solid state amp, so the Sansamp might add the warmth i'm looking for????

Is there any other type of tube stompbox/preamp that can warmth my sound???

Thankk a lot!!!!

Vincent

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Check out some threads on here about the Tech 21 VT Bass. This might be what you're looking for.

A tube head would provide the warmth you're looking for though ;).

3. For me, the SansAmp Bass Driver does exactly what you want. I haven't tried the VT, though.

4. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Definitely give the VT Bass a try (if you can find one).

5. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have both the aguilar tone hammer and the sans amp vt bass and they both will do the job, the tone hammer is just a straight up clear and clean transparent eq pre amp DI and you can crank the bass and mids and it will give it more presence and warmth, and it works good for that.

The sans amp vt bass is more vintage sounding, and will give you allot of warmth with just a slight turn of the dial, it does however color your tone, but it will give you for example a real good motown bass tone ,warm thick and rich, if i had had to choose between the two for your situation, it would be the vt bass.

6. As far as I can tell, the SansAmp BDDI is excellent to warm up your tone.... if you want BDDI tone. The VT is far more versatile tonally, but not near as versatile functionally (no xlr, no line/ instrument adjustments).

Another option is an English Muff'n or other tube pedal/preamp. It seems to have a compression effect that can't be matched by my BDDI. It really smooths out whatever I put into it. But it's huge and is a PITA to power (requires special adapter that doesn't seat well and takes a bunch of space outside the footprint of the pedal). BDDI is a very versatile tool, but in many applications doesn't warm the way me Muff'n does. I can't compare my Muff'n to a VT other than about 10 min. with the VT in a store.

YMMV.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Any of the above mentioned pedals will work, as will any tube preamp, or pedal, including an EBS Valve Drive.

8. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Let me be the first to suggest an amp upgrade. With the money you'd spend by buying a pedal solution, you could be saving up for a better amp instead.

Also, while we're at it... what's your EQ like (both on the bass and on the amp)? I know that the Sterling is a fairly bright bass, but you're not doomed for sterility by any means.

9. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

Oct 10, 2008
    London
    but which one is better if you dont want to color your tone, just add the FATT GRRR to the Pbass low end...?

10. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    These are all fantastic suggestions, but you should try the less expensive (and far more effective) route that I chose..

Since your cab is rear ported (if I'm not mistaken), the solution is easy. Go get some kittens and put them inside the cabinet via the ports. Most kittens should fit, since they are relatively small, flexible, and curious by nature. The warmth from those kittens will surpass any tube amp known to man, and if you DO have a tube amp, well, the cozyness that envelopes you will make you downright lethargic!

Here's the only caveat.. The louder you play, the more likely the kittens are to escape. So, to prevent the dreaded "tone-suck", you may need to apply some sort of medium-duty screen over the ports to keep said kittens intact.

If that fails, go to your local department store and pick up some fleece underpants. :D

11. ScottB.

ScottB.

Sep 14, 2008
    Devon, UK
    Sansamp VT Bass

12. VT Bass.

But for other types of tone warming, I might recommend one of these:

space-heater4.

:ninja:

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Turning off the horn on the cab and keeping cool on bass and treble boost may do wonders. The B2R-E isn't a cold sounding amp.

14. What kinds of strings you got on that Sterling and Cort?

15. MarkusBass

MarkusBass Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    +1! Great great pedal!

16. MarkusBass

MarkusBass Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    This stuff is good too:
    21QXF11S50L._SL500_AA280_.

17. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I tried the VT pedal, but like my Sansamp BDDI better. To my ears, the VT is not as warm, creamy and smooth as the BDDI. That's just my opinion, of course.

I don't think of the Sterling as having a particularly warm tone. You might try some different strings, roll off some treble, play close to the neck, etc. You've probably already thought of and tried these things...:)

18. vguilbault

vguilbault

Dec 16, 2008
    Well, first of all, thanks for your quick answer back!!!! It's very appreciated!!!!

Yep, Sterling is quite bright. Actually, I play my Sterling with full volume, Treb and mid flat, and bass knob a little boosted (1/8th of a turn....) I have the single H version of Sterling, so I play it with the standard musicman pickup config..

As for my amp, Bass knob is at 1:30, ultra-mid at 12:00 and treb at 12:00. Horn on my cab is almost off, but I like to have a little bit of clear sound.... And I'm going into the 9 bands EQ, and it's pretty flat all the way, except for the 40Hz at +6db and the 80Hz is at +4db....

RTL, this cab is NOT rear ported... There is 3 ports and the bottom, at the front of the cab....

I will probably give a try with the VT at my local music store tomorrow, if they have one.... and will see...

The only thing my sound is missing is the warm low-end that make what I call "a bass carpet" all over the floor... Or maybe I should try to fine tune my amp...????

Well... a lot of questions, a lot of possibilities... and a lot to spend!! ;-)

Thanks all for your advise!!! I'll keep you updated....

19. Jamie Bishop

Jamie Bishop Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Laney Amplication
    I've heard great things about the VT bass, but the EH Black Finger is incredible. Makes bass and guitar INSTANTLY sound better. And so far the only pedal suggested that has real tubes in it (sorry if I missed some, I scanned down the page).

20. vguilbault

vguilbault

Dec 16, 2008
    For the Sterling, I use Ernie Ball Nickel wound Super slinky 4 strings .045 - .100

I haven't tried anything else for that bass, as i got it a month ago, ans I changed my strings 2 weeks ago, and I went for the recommended strings by Musicman...

For the Cort, I use Ernie Ball Nickel wound regular Slinky 5 strings .045 - .130

I tried several type of string for this bass.... But the best sound and feeling was with those Regular Slinky strings...