Need Volume Pedal Help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Aram, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I would like to purchase a volume pedal for backing off while I'm playing, and for the occasional volume swell. I don't need total silence with the pedal, just one that gives me the full signal when it is all the way up.

Does anyone have a recommendation for one to use with bass? My bass has active pickups (basslines soaps) and an obp-3 preamp, if that matters.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks for the response -- which Ernie Ball are you using? the 6166? Does it affect the tone at all?
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yup, the 6166.

Anything you put in your signal chain is going to affect tone, but a volume pedal is probably the most harmless of contaminants. If you play a passive instrument, max the volume and tone on your instrument to minimize capacitance/noise introduced by effects.
  4. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks Christopher -- that's exactly what I was wondering. So with active pickups it shouldn't matter which volume I use, right? (i.e., whether it's 250k taper, etc).

Also, do you run yours through your effects loop, or between your bass and amp?
  5. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I've got i think the EB 6166 Volume pedal-i'm running a StingRay5 through it. I just set it up in between my bass and my amp. E.g. signal chain goes bass -> pedal->preamp of my rack. I like it and have been using it for about the past year or two.
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thye have a special model for active instruments but im not sure how dramatic the differnce is.

I think it just has to do with the taper.

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I bought a 6166 to use with my active basses and the taper is very extreme - all the way off for most of the travel and then it swells up very fast in the last 10% of movement. I've ordered an EB Jr volume pedal with a 25k pot to replace it - I'll find out next week if that works better. The Jr is also smaller and lighter which is a definite plus IMO.

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, I had the old EB vol pedal and the taper was extreme when I used it - all my basses are active.

I got the EB VP JR Vol Pedal with 25K pot, works much better.
  9. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks for your help guys! I'm going to try out the VP Jr then and see how it works with my bass. Interestingly, they seem to want to market it for passive instruments:

Durable design allows more floor space and features a potentiometer with 250kohm resistance suitable for the audio path of passive instruments. A micro taper switch gives you 2 distinct swell rates. A tuner output provides silent tuning in the heel-down pedal position.

Compact design
    Potentiometer is optimized for passive instruments
    Micro taper switch provides 2 distinct swell rates
    Tuner output
  10. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Oops, just realized the 25k one is the 'active' version. Never mind. David and Alex, are you guys using it through an effects loop, or between the bass and amp?
  11. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    That's interesting. I didn't realize there was a model for active instruments.

Do you think the active model would also be better for running the volume pedal post-effects. I'm thinking that even if the bass was passive... the output of most boxes is essentially active.
  12. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I use the EB Jr. Vol active (25K) pedal. It is last on my pedalboard before the amp. Nice and even swell with my active bass. I like it. The Jr. pedal is about the size of a normal wah pedal.