Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Needing help getting some audio into my cpu from my mic.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by hateater, Jan 7, 2005.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I have a tascam us-122, and after I plugged the mic into the mic input and turned on the phantom power, i get a signal, but no sound. I can get some sound from my headphones, but it isn't sending the info to my computer. How can I rig this up so that I can get some audio coming into my computer? HELP ME!@!#@!

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Check the setup of you DAW software and make sure the Tascam is set to be your sound card. What mic are you using?

3. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Another thing. I don't know what software you are using but the track you are trying to record may be set up as a midi track. Thats all I can think of right now. I have to get ready for my gig but i will check some other possibilities out when i get home.

4. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Well, it may be the first problem, but definately not the second. Can the usb send audio? I see a line out for right and left, and I am guessing that my problem is that I need to go though that to my soundcard somehow... damnit.

5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

The USB can send audio.That id what the US122 is designed to do. Make sure the USB out from the 122 is plugged into you computer's USB. The unit you have has an indicator light that should let you know when it is working with your computer. The audio outs on the 122 are to hook up to your monitors or stereo or what ever you are using to listen to playback. The idea is to use the 122 in place of your computers sound card.

6. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

It is connected and all, I have done a lot of work with midi, but it is the audio that is still gettin' me. I get a signal when i plug in my bass, or give some vocals, and I can hear it through phones- but that's it! When I try to record, there is NOTHING, and i can't get anything out of my speakers... I have fooled around with my sound settings, and tried all different kinds of combos.... I might check out grabbing all of the most recent drivers, that may be it.

7. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    bump for more help...still no beans with the audio!

8. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    I'll take a wild stab at this. Bear in mind I don't have a US-122 but I do use a Edirol UA-25 USB device to record. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the order in which you connect and power up makes a difference.

Try this. With the computer off, make all your mic connections and settings (phantom on, line/mic, etc) on the US-122. Connect the USB cable from the US-122 to the computer. Power up the computer. Also make sure there is enough gain on the US-122 to drive your microphone.

What you're hearing in the headphones is probably directly from the US-122.

What computer and software are you using?