1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Needing help on getting a sound right

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by AddSomeRiddim, Jul 29, 2012.

1. AddSomeRiddim

AddSomeRiddim

Sep 23, 2011
    This seemed the most applicable forum to put this thread bit feel free to move it since it's technically not "live".

Anyway, relatively I'm quite new when it comes to bass and spent more time learning to play and not sounding terrible and not aiming for any particular sound so I was wondering if the Bassing community could help out:

We Are Scientists - Can't Lose

It's a good sound that I've heard before and I've tried so long to get it to no result.

I've got a Fender Modern Player Jazz and a Marshall MB15 amp with 3 knob set-up and compressor.

Any help whatsoever even on finding my own sound would be great e.g strings, EQ, Action, compressor setting etc.

As I said I'm new to establishing my own sound (rather than style) so even the most basic knowledge or nuggets of wisdom would be great.

Thanks in advance

Tl;dr how to get sound like in video

2. Dantreige

Dantreige

Oct 22, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I think most of his tone is because he is using a pick. Pretty standard tone if you ask me.

Turn the tone knob back on your bass. Maybe loose some treble on your amp. Don't crank the bass knob on the amp. (It's not woofy.) That tone has more midrange and low mids, not a lot of highs.

Good luck.

(This may have been better in the bassist section. Someone probably knows what the bass player used to record with and what they use live.)

3. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    IIRC, Chris Cain uses an SVT setup.
    As Dantreige said, roll back some treble, and try to boost a little low mids.

Amps/Effects might be better than Live Sound.

4. AddSomeRiddim

AddSomeRiddim

Sep 23, 2011
    Cheers to the both of you. I'll have a crack at that them might repost it in either of the suggested forums if I can't get it.

Cheers