1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Needing some help deciding (5str)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slanderous, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Slanderous

Slanderous

Oct 21, 2010
    Ottawa Canada
    I recently decided to join the forum because it seemed like a great place to get some advice on basses.

I sold my conklin GT-7 as its just too annoying to slap (14mm string spacing), I didnt use all 7 strings enough, and I prefer a wider string spacing. I really want to go back to 5 strings. I have been trying out basses and I am really digging the MM style bass humbucker tone. I have a few models I'm thinking of going for but I wanted to get some more feedback on it. I also know getting used can be an option but its not as easy in canada because of high taxes etc. My price range is around 650$ and I play grunge, rock, metal and some funk/slap.

Sterling Ray35- I just can't afford the real deal so I was looking at this as an option because I've heard the quality is quite good for the price.

LTD Surveyor 415- Haven't had much experience with them but it looks like it would work well for what I want.

Schecter Raiden elite5- Again not as much hands on experience as I want but if the HZ emg's it comes with are up to snuff then it might be the bass for me.

I've read the reviews and I just need some other bassists takes on this to make a decision. Thanks for your time in advance.

2. bassmanjake123

bassmanjake123

Jun 10, 2010
    Hey There mate.
    I have a 5 string Maverick a dave pybus signature bass (Cradle of Filth) it's a cracking bass. It's active and gives a real dirty punch through any bass amp. They are becoming fair rare though so if you can pick you hands on one you've got yourself a great bass. I would say it would be great for grunge music. It's a great all rounder bass. You can pick a second hand one up for about £350 - £450 which probably in dollars is about $600. Just have a look around if interested.
    Take care mate
    Jake

3. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    If that's USD$650, you should be able to get a G&L L-2500 Tribute for well under that. For just a little bit more, you could get a US L-2500 (I've seen 'em as low as $700).

I think the L-2500 is an excellent alternative for the MM-like sound. "MM-like" - not exactly the same, but until you try one, you won't really know which one you like better.

4. Slanderous

Slanderous

Oct 21, 2010
    Ottawa Canada

Since the dollar is almost par now I was thinking 650USD. The main problem being that the tribute L2500 is about 700 in canada and to get even a used one over here is 40-100USD shipping plus 50-100USD in duties. Is the L2500 worth the extra cash?

How does the Ibanez SRX series compare btw?

I'll definitely keep an eye out but from what I've read maverick went under not too long ago?

5. Slanderous

Slanderous

Oct 21, 2010
    Ottawa Canada