1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nemesis NC410 - getting practical

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bucephylus, Apr 15, 2006.

1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Our band has booked a bunch of Tuesday night gigs in a club here in Phoenix that requires good sound, but not too much of it. Last time i was in there, I took the Hexavalve / Bergantino NV610, and it was really way too much. So, today I went out and picked up a Nemesis NC410, made in '97, from the local GC.

This thing sounds like it should do the trick without making the loadout at 1:30 a nightmare. Anyone else out there gigging with one of these?

2. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Central Coast, CA
    not any more, i had the 15 combo years ago. first, the speaker blew, replaced under warranty. not a real heavy duty speaker though. then the electronics fried. it was sent back for a warranty repair. when i got it back, an aluminium heat sink was installed on the rear panel. i believe the first series of these amps were built without heatsinks. they ran too hot and died. make sure you dont push the amp hard without a heatsink, you will be without sound for the night! i had no problems after i sent it back to the factory though.

3. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    This one has the fins.

4. azsfcsh

azsfcsh

May 31, 2005
    Gilbert Arizona
    Ive been gigging around the Phoenix area as well with one of these. Its a great little combo with tons of power and tone, plus with the light weight, it makes it an awsome combo amp to own. Where are you gigging at? Last gig i had was at my school, and i could easily be heard over 2 guitar half-stacks and a very loud drummer. Not to mention, we were not plugged into the pa, only the singer. Either way, this amp is really nice.

5. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Our schedule is on our website:
    www.soulfulhorizons.com

This thing sounds like it will get the job done. But, you never really know until you get it on the gig. Fortunately, I also got it with a 30 day return policy. So, that should give more than enough chance to check it out.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've gigged extensively with the Nemisis 410 speaker cab. The ratio of price/weight/sound is much better than the public perception would have you believe.

7. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    I think you are right. This combo leaves most of the others I've used in the dust, and has both tone and volume. I like it.

I had time to fiddle with the "parametric" control yesterday. Setting it at about 10 o'clock (whatever that is in Hz, maybe 65 or so?) and bumping the boost a hair seems to fill things out nicely.

This is a really cool amp. It seems a shame Eden has sent the manufacturing over to China and decided to let it become a budget thing rather than improving it. A pro take on this profile doesn't exist and would most likely be pretty successful.

8. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
  9. Been using a 2x12 for the last couple of years - thing sounds great, has plenty of volume, and makes load-in/load-out a breeze.

I have noticed the horn buzzes, and I need to have it looked at, but for the most part, the amp has been a dream to own.

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I also own a Nemesis NC-410 combo, which I purchased new in 1997. It's a fine little amp. I've gigged with it occasionally with no problems, no complaints.

For whatever reason, the Nemesis sounds significantly louder than its (original) 225-watt power rating would suggest - I've played it in a very large room to 250-300 people, in a full band with drums, guitar, two keyboards and several vocalists - and I've never had to turn up the volume even halfway (of course, the XLR line out to the PA helps with that).

The drivers are voiced on the deep side, so unless you're playing a five-string or six-string, and really banging on the low "B", there's no problem covering the entire bass frequency range. You'll like...

MM

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's because SPL is a product of both Watts AND speaker sensitivity. Nemisis have decided to make their speakers very efficient so they sound loud with not a lot of watts.

Of course there is a trade off - with current technology, the laws of physics say that the more sensitive the speaker, the less lows it can produce and vice versa. Desigining bass cabs involves a delicate balancing act to make the speakers as efficient as possible but maintain a strong bottom end performance. Nemisis, and Eden for that matter, do this very well!

12. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    One sign of redemption for the Scottsdale GC was that the sales guy, Tim, called out of no where Friday night to tell me that he had come across the Nemesis cover for the amp, and that he would hang onto it for me. I went over and picked it up on Saturday - and found it to be quite a deluxe cover that I would have had to pay at least $50 to replace.

I thought that was pretty cool of him; he could have just blown it off, and I would never have known the difference. That's the kind of thing that will keep me going back.

I am going to trial this puppy at a battle of the bands final on Monday at a place called Sugar Daddy's, which has a pretty big room. It's a bit of a gamble, because, in this case, there is some considerable dough riding on the outcome. I'll report back on Tuesday.

13. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    i play at church with a new nc-410 combo(320 watts) and i love it to death. like some of y'all said, the power to weight ratio is great. it's light enough for a smaller guy like me to lift and lugg around. the tone is great and i can't wait for my thumb to come in so i can try out this dynamic duo. the only complaint is that it is a little noisey(hissy). any suggestions for that? we got a great deal on this since it was a blem. it was regularly like close to $1000, but we got it for around $700 from mf. one of the corner protectors is a little mishaped, no bigge. i'll be playin my first outside gig with it this weekend and it should do fine.

14. Two bands so I have two 410 Nemesis cabs. I also have a semi-retired NC-200B combo (2 X 10) since purchasing an Ampeg B4R head (mucho watts). Lots of bang for the buck. I like the lighter weight too. Good stuff...

15. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    I looked up the original review in BP, and they had the same complaint. I haven't noticed it on mine. However, I believe a decent amp shop should be able to install a tweeter attenuator pot, if you don't have warranty issues with a mod.

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Me either.

17. I just bought a brand new NA650 NSP410 and NSP212 on friday. I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be for 2300 dollars (Canadian), I'm returning the cabs tomorow and going to get two D212XLT's instead. The thing sounded pretty good, but it just didn't run over my face with feeling.....hopefully the 412 stack will.

18. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    OK, I agree; for that kind of money, you should certainly get what you want. I'd be amazed if the Eden 2 - 2x12's didn't completely kick for you.

BTW, I also revamped my large stack recently, and went to a Bergantino 610 and a Trace tube head.

This thread is mainly about the combo world, which to me has a somewhat more complicated solution space not totally related to cost. The Nemesis NC-410 seems to provide one reasonable solution. I can't vouch for the whole Nemesis line.

19. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    gracias

20. predmachine

predmachine

Feb 23, 2006
    I have a Nemesis 410 (new) and I love it.