1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neutrik Speakon Differences?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gruuv, Apr 12, 2006.

  1. gruuv


    Jan 23, 2004
    Quick question for those in the know. . . I was wondering if anyone can tell me the difference between the NL4FC and the NL2FC Speakons. I looked them up on their website and I know that the 4's are four pole and the 2's are two, but I mean as far as what amps/cabs they can be used with, etc. . .

    Thanks in advnace:help:
  2. Tony G

    Tony G

    Jan 20, 2006
    4 pole speakons are used when bridging power amps. The two pole can be used in a power amp for one channel each, and most heads use only a 2 pole speakon.
  3. As far as I know, the two and four pole are the same size. The difference is the amount of poles as you said...
    You can use four poles for sending two signals trough one cable like +1 and -1 being low and +2 and -2 being high. Or when bridgin, the +1 becomes + and +2 becomes -.
  4. greenboy


    Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I haven't seen much gear that uses the two-pole (I'm including PA/SR gear as well as bass-specific stuff). Since they are the same size and the costs don't differ that much for bulk evidently, a lot of companies don't bother stocking the two-pole or using them in their designs.
  5. gruuv


    Jan 23, 2004
    Thanks for the responses fellers. So, there would be no conceivable problem using the 2-pole for connecting head to cab, power amp to cab, or daisy chaining cabs?
  6. greenboy


    Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Nope they are compatible. Just as long as you aren't going to need to carry two signals (biamp or stereo) you'll do just fine. Last time I checked for building some cab jack plates and cables I didn't see any price advantage with the two-poles or they weren't available or something, so either way you will be fine if you wire correctly.
  7. Passinwind

    Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

    Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The two pole inline ones (NL2FC) are a good bit cheaper if you look around hard enough, in my experience at least.They should run just over 2 bucks apiece, NL4 should be around $3.50 or so in small quantities. I like the latch mechanism better on NL2 than the NL4 ones as well. They are often much harder to find too though. Amp and speaker cab manufacturers don't use the 2 pole panel-mounted ones because a 4 pole one on the cable end won't mate with it. But a 2 pole cable end works fine with 4 pole at the amp or cab end.
  8. greenboy


    Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Righto. Why the two-poles have widely been ignored/abandoned. Compatibility in one direction but not the other.
  9. I have a Dynacord power amp that has a left output, a right output, and a output which says 'Bridged'. I connect that output (speakon) to my speaker cab input (jack). So I need a NL4FC for that, or is the NL2FC ok?
  10. Bump, really like to know this!
  11. From what has been said above, a four pole speakon usually carries the send and return of two amplifiers, so to run bridged, you would need the four pole connector, and you connect your speaker lead to the two hot terminals.

    You need to confirm with Dynacord whether they have brought the two hot terminals together in a two pole connector, or brought all four connectors together in a four pole connector. Alternatively, if you are comfortable doing so, take the lid off, and check how many wires are connected to the 'bridged' connector.
  12. Ok, so what happens if you only connect a two pole connector (like I do now)? Would that be the same as running only one amp?
  13. tadawson


    Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    2 pole == 4 pole with only 1+/1- wired == what you can buy in pretty much any music store. == bridge cable for amps with a dedicated bridge jack wired to just 1+/1-. (The two pole connector is basically the four pole shell with the second pair of contacts left out to reduce cost, since most instrument amps are incapable of using the second pair anyhow.)

    4 pole with 1+/1- and 2+/2- wired == biamp cable, as per GK or any biamped PA cabinet.

    4 pole with 1+/2+ wired through to 1+/1- == bridge cable for amps wired with both channels on one speakon.

    2 pole cable connector will fit any 4 pole or 2 pole jack.

    4 pole cable connector will only fit a 4 pole jack.

    - Tim
  14. Jerry J

    Jerry J Supporting Member

    Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    For some unknown reason I find this all confusing.

    When you go with banana or 1/4" it's all pretty brainless. I've got to have a cable for bridged mode and a non-bridged mode.

    Question: When going from one to another I would use which configuration?
  15. Vic

    Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

    Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Or for biamping integrated cabs with bypassable crossovers (GK). :)

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.