Neutrik TRS Jacks with non-TRS cables

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MascisMan, May 25, 2017.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I am currently setting up a Temple Audio board. I want to use these jacks:

TRS Locking Connector

However, I am unsure if they will work with standard, mono cables for an in (to board) and an out (from board to amp).

Will non-TRS cables work with locking TRS jacks like these?

2. lakefx

lakefx

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    Should be fine. On rare occasions I've encountered TS cables where the connectors didn't work with TRS jacks, but that's only a couple of times in more than 20 years.

MascisMan likes this.
  3. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Thanks!

4. If you plug a TS (aka Tip/Sleeve or mono) plug into a TRS (Tip/Ring/Sleeve or stereo) jack, the Sleeve (sometimes ground/shield, sometimes not) on the plug contacts the Sleeve and Ring on the jack. In most cases you can just leave the Ring contact on the jack disconnected, or you can connect it to ground.
    This applies only to low level signal connections like with instrument cables or effects loops.
    BUT DOES NOT ALWAYS APPLY TO SPEAKER CONNECTIONS.

You need to be more careful with speaker connections because not all Sleeves are at ground potential.
    On some amps they carry voltages above ground that can be a shock hazard.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2022