1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new acoustic bass head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by notforrobots, Sep 4, 2008.

1. I just picked it up yesterday and im amazed for the kinda music that im playing (old school hardcore punk) it worked out perfect. and anyone that things 200 watts isnt enough should give this beast a shot. I also was talking to the salesman who claims that guitar center bought john paul jones's acoustic 360 and they are copying the circuit to produce one of there own. could just be talk but ill be waiting for it

2. wildcard

wildcard Guest

It's not , & you'll see . You will have to go into a PA for anything except a small gig . Also if you have a loud guitarist & drummer , you'll definitely need the XLR out to the PA. Anyway, Congrats on your new amp , & enjoy.

3. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    The purpose of having a lot of power is often not volume - but tone. If you like a lot of ultra low end - that takes watts. You need a big rock to carve out big tone sometimes - mattering on what "Your Sound" is.

4. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Cool -- what kind of speaker setup are you running the head into?

5. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    hey. ive asked this before and never really got a reply.cause i noticed that they have a really reliable price of $399 for and acoustic head and cab.but ive never heard what one sounds like.and the other amp i was looking at was an ampeg for like $599.and i was wondering if acoustic bass heads could produce a similar tone to an ampeg amp(that punky treble ampeg like tone)something like that,so would you say so??? and one more thing, would you suggest it for medium-small gigs?? cause im facing the crowds with a 100 watt marshall amp plugged into a peavey cab,and a 210 watt line six combo amp. both of those rigs are what my guitarists use.so i was wonding if it can cutt thru the guitaring or not. thank you

6. bottomend!

bottomend!

Oct 23, 2007
    here
    This amp would surprise YOU then. There is a big difference between the 200 watts coming out of the back of this Acoustic amp and other stuff being sold these days. Check it out for yourself and report back.

7. bottomend!

bottomend!

Oct 23, 2007
    here
    GC did buy the amp you mention but "they" are not copying it. US made Acoustic amps are going to be produced and the original designers are involved with it from start to finish. Lotsa info here for you to check out;

http://unofficialacousticcontrolcorpmessageboard.yuku.com/

8. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    Not to mention the reviews I am putting up on this site under Acoustic USA News - it is the same info I put on the site BottomENd mentioned - thogh there it is maybe easier to read but not as many comments from others either.

9. ok fellas so i played with my band tonight at practise and this amp lacks balls you were right im just going to by an old 370 head thats going to have more then enough balls. :(
    by the way my cab im using is the ampeg 410hlf classic and its always been more then enough to get over my guitar players stack

10. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Bummer. Sorry it didn't work out for ya!

11. bottomend!

bottomend!

Oct 23, 2007
    here
    Dont blame the amp... As simple and obvious as it seems, some cabs just dont like some amps.

12. sevenorchids

sevenorchids Supporting Member

What were your settings like when the amp "lacked balls"? Mids are needed to cut through in band situations...

13. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    +1, how you EQ the amp can make or break your testicular effectiveness. ;)

14. i had plenty of mids thats my sound very mid rangy. but this amp had no lows at that volume. im going to go back to my 800rb till i find an old acoustic or solid state sunn head.
    im going to keep this head and sit it on top of a twelve that i have at my house so i can play at home because it is a really good sounding head just not powerful enough for my needs.

15. sevenorchids

sevenorchids Supporting Member

OK.

Keep in mind that they are coming out with the B600H in a month or two...not sure if that is something that would interest you. 600W @ 2ohm, 450 @4ohm if I remember correctly. Twice the power, but twice as expensive. An 8x10 is coming out with it...

Good luck with finding a 370!

16. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Find one of those crazy old acoustic 415 cabs like Fealach used to have, and couple that with the Acoustic 320 head... HUGE!

-Benny

17. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    +1

Acoustic has always been more of a system approach to Bass amplification. It's been my experience that matching the proper driver / cabinet / amplifier as a system can provide the maximum potential for acoustic equipment.

The OP has simply mismatched the cabinet to the amplifier or vis versa.
    Ampeg and acoustic, that's like oil and water.

18. i just returned it and picked up a sansamp preamp and im getting a qsc 1450 power amp i always said id never go rack but until they release the big boy this is the way im going

19. wildcard

wildcard Guest

I've played the GC Acoustic B200H , & the B200 combo . I didn't care for them, & I still don't . As I've stated before. Now, note: {a 200 watt amp will get lost in the mix, with a loud drummer , & a loud guitarist, if your playing a big, medium, or an outside gig, without PA support} . It has nothing to do with how powerful you think your 200 watt amp is, or how good you think it is . It's still only a 200 watt amp. No disrespect , but go play an outside gig or in a medium to large venue , without PA support. You'll find out real fast. That Acoustic amp comes with an XLR out, just use it.

20. wildcard

wildcard Guest

Thats silly