1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Amp Day PJB BP-800

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by kerrycares, Nov 18, 2020.

1. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Howell, Michigan
    E72D82AA-1503-4040-A199-8E1D6045D318.jpeg D2E66DEE-A95F-4F86-8750-04BAC5B206E4.jpeg I haven’t been happy with my EA Doubler ll / MAS 18 sound so l got this amp while waiting to try out the new EBS Stanley Clarke Pre and it sounds great!
    Full , deep and warm .... I am pleasantly surprised.
    I’m not sure if it’s just the Pre or is there something special in the Phil Jones power section.
    This is the best my upright has sounded in quite some time.
    Chinese Panormo with David Gage Lifeline.

The only negative is the 13” length of the amp.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah, man. If they would only put a variable HPF on there, PJB would be the perfect DB amp hands down. As is, I still feel they are because it’s easy enough to add one outboard.

3. kerrycares

Jan 17, 2006
    Howell, Michigan
    E5DE149E-3A4F-4F7E-9C64-DF41536CE6AE.jpeg Waiting to A/B these

4. kerrycares

Jan 17, 2006
    Howell, Michigan
    Yeah the PJB was returned , at 13” long it ergonomically doesn’t work with my cab.
    The EBS unit is now going thru the paces.

5. kerrycares

Jan 17, 2006
    Howell, Michigan
    PBJ sounds better with my gear , I wish he sold a Preamp

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    He does, actually - the Bass Buddy is actually a preamp version of the front end on many of his amps. The only real difference is that for some inexplicable reason, they replaced the excellent limiter on the combo models with a compressor that I’ve never been able to get to do anything positive.

kerrycares likes this.
  7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Is there some functional reason the length of the amp doesn't work for you? I'd be inclined to just let it
    hang out in front/back if I really liked the sound. Or, I'd set my controls and turn it sideways...

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  8. kerrycares

Jan 17, 2006
    Howell, Michigan
    I’m trying a Phil Jones Big Head or Bass Buddy.
    I have friends locally that have each.
    And i’ll try an Fdeck.

9. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    apologies for the slight thread derail...would you please share more about your experiences with the pjb built-in compressor?

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    It was pretty terrible, but only because I thought it was supposed to be a limiter like on their combo amps. With the limiter, you turn it on and set it, and it keeps your signal from passing a certain point when you hit a transient hard...which saves wear and tear on your speakers, and which is one of my favorite features on the PJB combos.

The compressor is designed to do something entirely different, and I just don’t like the way it squishes and seemingly distorts the signal. I’m sure it’s probably fine, but my big takeaway is that I learned I much compare limiters to compressors.

yodedude2 likes this.
  11. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    thanks for sharing! i really like the pjb amp compressor...i sold my bass buddy but kept my d-200 to use as a preamp because i like the way the compressor sounds and responds. still, i play bass guitar, so that's the limit of my experience with it.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020