1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Arkham Class D “Beast”

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave Hill, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    This was just tossed into the Zephyr thread, but, I thought it deserved it’s own spot.

For those not familiar with Arkham, they are absolutely top notch, handmade preamps that are incredibly versatile and very “tubey”.

Micah has now paired his pre with a 1200W class D amp. Behold:

2406F786-5522-4A54-A625-680FA5AB200B. 153DCAE2-806E-4CEA-8304-8545849C69F5.

2. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    I wonder how this may sound compared to a Monique 700. Looks great though! Something to contemplate during the new year. I dig my Zephyr BB800 combo thus far.

Laklandfan and lo-freq like this.
  3. Wow, the hits just keep on coming. It would seem that we are in a golden age of bass gear. Whose producers are bringing out more and more wonderful things all the time. Very cool. But who can keep up. So much want.

murphy and Dee-man like this.
  4. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    That's essentially my amp setup. An Abyss into the Ice 1200. Best amp I've ever used. I've been talking to Micah and I know that he added a nice HPF. Much better low end power and control than the Monique. More extended highs, too.

DJ Bebop, Dean N, lo-freq and 7 others like this.
  5. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Different HPF than the Zephyr?
    My Zephyr/Prolite 3.0 is awesome, otherwise I’d be all over this.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  6. BostonJazz72

BostonJazz72 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Chicago
    Wow! Been waiting for this for a few months! Micah did a great job.

7. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I'm a sucker for anything Lovecraft related, so I guess I have to go check that out.

8. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Micah can chime in but the hpf on there is for a different purpose. It's gradual and set up pretty high. This would just be a built in 30 hz 24db/octave filter. You can quite literally get another 3db (at least) from a cab with a 30hz filter. That's like adding a second cab.

agedhorse, murphy, RandM and 2 others like this.
  9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Hey @Mike Arnopol I didn't know you'd switched from the Sonic Farm. This sounds like a great rig.

10. Arkham Sound

Arkham Sound Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 16, 2014
    New England
    Owner/Operator Arkham Sound --Vacuum Tube Amplifiers--
    Hi guys, thanks for posting this -- it was getting dizzy over on the Zephyr thread.

I've had a flurry of emails and PMs, and just want to clarify here that this amplifier still has a few weeks of torture testing ahead. All being well, I'll start taking orders in early January. The website will be updated with full specs, glamor shots, and pricing... and I'll try and get a news release here on TalkBass.

In the meantime feel free to ask any technical questions here.

As for the HPF -- this has the standard 100Hz HPF switch, but also a built in 24dB/Octave subsonic filter set at 30Hz cutoff. I want to thank Mike Arnopol for talking me into that :cool:

The preamp is identical to the Abyss/Zephyr, but with an added -6dB pad.

11. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Love it

12. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Yeah---there were some issues with the Tantra that the designer wasn't able to resolve. Gain structure issues.So I had to pull my support. You couldn't get full gain from the preamp without clipping the SS section (eq).I'll tell ya'---between the 2di4 and the Abyss---both are as good as it gets.
    My rig is essentially the Beast without the HPF. Best integrated amp I've used.

13. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Twice the wattage is a standout difference. The ice 1200 vs hypex 700 is a non starter. But based on my experience with the Monique and the Arkham, power section aside, The Arkham is more tight and focused with more articulation on top available. The Monique has a very pleasing envelope but can sound a little “squishy” to those who desire a more quick tightness to their sound. Both excellent flavors of awesome and wonderfully executed. Just different preferences.

But to zoom out a little, they are more similar than different in tone and feel. Both very elegant and refined takes on vintage bass sound.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  14. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Agree with ya on the quick tightness of the Arkham also Mike Arnapol's description is spot on.

15. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Tend to agree with you on that!

16. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Expected price?

DJ Bebop and murphy like this.
  17. geowis

geowis Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Hopewell, NJ
    I emailed Micah, and this is the response to my price question "Price will be around $1650, still have to do a final tally."

murphy and DirtyDuke like this.
  18. This looks really sweet. Curious about the reasons for a non sweepable HPF. Also the hi, mid, and bass switches. Are these xover shift points or boost or what? I’m also awfully fond of my para mids. So, at a glance my first impression is a lack of sculpting capability. With this much juice on tap 2 ohms is a given, right?
    I personally lean to the tighter, less saggy response so this would deffinitely be more my cup of tea than the Monique. I’ve never played either of the Arkham or Monique pres. But, for reference, I didn’t like the GB Streamliner, too saggy, but own a Shuttle and Shuttlemax. I prefer Sunn over Ampeg tone wise. (Don’t tell JimmyM) Also my old Bassmans, when driven within their limits. A bit of a pricey rig but I understand reasons and costs involved here. Still a head with this pricetag, I’d really have to be in love with it for awhile. Ha ha!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    DJ Bebop and Stranger Danger like this.
  19. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Looks good.

The back of the amp says 2.67 ohms. I'd have preferred the flexibility of a 2 ohm capability.

20. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    The switches are for a fixed boost, and they are voiced marvelously. As for tone sculpting, go to the Arkham website and there is a great explanation, with graphs, of how the B and T controls interact with the Range control. That, along with the switches, really provides for a pretty broad palette of usable sounds that don’t stray too far from the overall character.
    The frequency of the switches are also given on the website for the other preamps. I’m quite sure they are the same on the Beast.

BassikBrad, Agosix and J.Wolf like this.