1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Ashdown bass guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeyLiv, Jul 7, 2020.

1. JoeyLiv

JoeyLiv

Jan 3, 2017
    Arizona
    Anyone get to play one of the new ashdown basses? Lakland bass reboot? They look killer. Basses

selowitch, gscroggin and Timmy Liam like this.
  2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    A t-bird, a precision, a jazz, a short scale jazz and a PJ reverendish thing. Hmm. :angel:

jd56hawk, Plake and Waltsdog like this.
  3. JoeyLiv

JoeyLiv

Jan 3, 2017
    Arizona
    I’m thinking I would like to try one of these. Probably the low rider (thunderbird)

barclaybass likes this.
  4. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    The black and maple Low Rider is stunning.

petch, barclaybass and nFinnyD like this.
  5. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Funny, I was recently thinking about the basses, and strings that Trace Elliot made in the mid-90's - and thinking how unlikely it would be for Ashdown to reboot that part of their Trace history...

I mean, I was timely. Completely wrong, but timely I tell you.

RSBBass, Bleecker and Inara like this.
  6. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    Am I the only one skeptical about these?

Who's actually making these basses? The fact that the information isn't included instantly makes me think far east. They don't even mention what body wood they use or pickup specs...

Who the hell is going to buy this for 1k? Can somebody explain why anybody would choose this over a Fender, Lakland Skyline, G&L, Sire... ? I don't see any differentiation...

EDIT: My dumbass didn't scroll down the page far enough specs are there!

SPECIFICATIONS:
    BODY WOOD - LIGHTWEIGHT ALDER

BODY FINISH -
    HIGH GLOSS POLY

NECK WOOD -
    MAPLE

FINGERBOARD WOOD – ROSEWOOD

NECK FINISH -
    OIL

FINGERBOARD RADIUS -

TRUSS ROD -
    2 WAY - ALLEN ADJUSTMENT AT BODY
    INLAYS - DOT AND OR BLOCKS WITH BINDING

NUT -
    BONE

FRETS NO. -

SCALE -

PICKUPS -
    2 -J STYLE SINGLE COIL

PICKGUARD -
    WHITE

CIRCUIT -
    NONE

CONTROLS –
    VOL/VOL/TONE

POTS -
    3 - CTS STYLE 250K

KNOBS –
    JBASS STYLE

SWITCH – NONE

HARDWARE COLOUR -
    CHROME

BRIDGE -
    4 STRING THROUGH BRIDGE STRINGING ONLY

TUNERS -
    HIPSHOT LICENSED - ULTRA-LTE CHROME

STRINGS -
    HIGH QUALITY - STAINLESS STEEL ROUNDWOUND .045-.105

STRING RETAINER -
    STRING TREE

STRAPS -
    DUAL DESIGN

WEIGHTS -
    3.8KG - 8.3LBS

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Frunobulax, juggernaut7 and StayLow like this.
  7. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Do you know who Dan Lakin is? That’s the answer.

(Also, I drilled in a bit - the materials are addressed clearly though not the country of manufacture. I assume Asia somewhere; the price works.)

8. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    The Lo Rider is a nice take on Peter Cook's 7enderbirds, except for the pickups - they really look out of place.

9. HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    So the answer is brand recognition? I guess that's fair as an answer, personally that's not good enough for me to make a purchasing decision. I mean, are you going to preorder one?

10. At $1k I'd guess Chinese or Indonesian manufacturing. Korea is possible but most WMI seems to be over that price point nowadays. No interest from me, that's a brutal price point to enter the market with nothing new to offer.

11. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Nope. But I do think that when you want to get into a new line of business, landing a recognizable name like Dan Lakin to attach to the project is a normal move. Same thing Sire did, though obviously Marcus has broader appeal than Dan Lakin does.

Solves a bit of mystery, too - I wondered what Lakin's plans were when he exited the business kinda abruptly a couple years ago.

707GK and Thundar like this.
  12. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Oh good, not enough $1200 import P and J clones on the market.

RSBBass and StayLow like this.
  13. Thundar

Thundar Don't talk old to me Supporting Member

Yep, I'm IN! A cool P/J and a Thunderbird, all with matching headstocks? Dan, you were reading my mind!

Bass-1_0000s_0000_Layer_23_1200x.jpg

petch likes this.
  14. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Um, read the description? Body wood, weight, specs are listed under each. And the price is in pounds, not US dollars. I have not idea what the current exchange rate is.

With 5 year warranty.

No clue as to quality since brand new, but willing to bet Dan and Ashdown are not going to produce crap.

Inara likes this.
  15. But they look like high quality. Just checked the P: lightweight alder (I don't know how they manage every single instrument to be 3.5 kg / 7.7 lbs., the Jazz 3.8 kg :)
    Hipshot tuners, Wilkinson bridge, matching headstocks. A shortscale Jazz...
    I have enough Fenders, but why not?

16. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    If you check out the NAMM videos they are very open about where they are made. They are made in Korea. They are using the same factory that the initial D.Lakin basses were made which is the Mirr factory. Top notch stuff comes out of that factory (Reverend and Duensenberg). The Ashdown website is pretty detailed on specs too. The bodies are alder. I spoke with Dan and he said the quality is equal to the last Lakin basses which were extremely high quality. I have one on order right now. The tough thing is that there likely won't be any readily available in stores in the USA to check out.

groovin_bassman and Thundar like this.
  17. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    £949 converts to US$1196.42

18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Good for them. But let's wait a while and see how they show up. Since they are clearly private labeled are they worth it? They look OK but wouldn't run to a mystery maker instead of a known brand.
    I'm not saying "pick a lane" either. Let's see how they do. But I'm also surprised that a niche sorta boutique player wouldn't go a little higher-end for basses. Because they have a well-respected and sought after brand in their amp/cab and electronics lines.
    Kind of like if Mesa or Aguilar got into the guitar biz. Would they be good? Same answer, depends who actually makes them.

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

MEH!!

20. HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston

To both these points; I don't mean to say that I think these instruments are going to be crap. I'm thinking about this relatively speaking, for example the Sire V7 starts at $600 is half the cost of the Ashdown Gail (899 pounds = ~$1200) or for the same cost you can get an American made Fender.

WHO are these basses for? At the $1000 price point what person chooses Ashdown over an equally priced MIA Fender/Lakland Skyline or at half the cost a Sire, Squire or G&L Tribute? How many Lakin fan boys are there that are looking to purchase a diluted version?

Kukulkan61 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021