1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new australian prog rock?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by tdogg, Mar 17, 2010.

1. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    so a few months ago, one of my friends turned me on to a great band called Karnivool. i have since discovered that plenty of you TBers already knew about that band. but i have now stumbled across many other australian progressive metal/rock bands. heres the ones that i like:
    karnivool
    cog
    dead letter circus
    porcupine tree
    i'll think of more (its early)

these bands have become some of my favorites! other bands that i obsess over: lo-pro, A perfect circle, muse, etc.

im aware that im late to the party on some of these bands, but can you guys name some other new(ish) bands that fit into this same style? (aussie or not) thanks guys!
    BTW im going to see Karnivool live next month in minneapolis, MN!!!!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

2. Subscribing to this thread because I'm a HUGE supporter of the Australian prog rock scene. Giving you a list of all the bands I like/regularly see would be near endless so I'll just give you my top picks that would probably best interest your selection.

Sleep Parade (If you like Karnivool and COG you will LOVE these guys...one of the best live bands doing rounds right now)

Arcane

sleepmakeswaves (they're more cinematic post-rock than anything but very good and very proggy regardless)

Eleventh He Reaches London

Breaking Orbit (formerly Nucleus)

Like i said, there are HEAPS more available but these stand out as my favourites...plus most other bands don't have any full releases available just yet. A couple are due to launch some EPs/albums in the near future so I'll definitely post them in here once word reaches me.

if you dig any of the ones I mentioned, I can also try and recommend similar artists in the same field (particularly if you like sleepmakeswaves....I have an obscene amount of Australian post-rock at my disposal :p )

Also, I noticed Porcupine Tree on your list....unfortunately, they're a British band...not Aussie. I can only dream they were a local outfit....then I wouldn't have to wait so long to see them play :p

3. I thought Porcupine Tree were some kind of europeanian.
    I have to listen to a lot of this stuff at work (PT my fav by far) and have come to the conclusion they are all being different the exact same way, I really cant tell some of the bands apart.

4. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    where do you work that you HAVE to listen to this?
    btw correct me if im wrong about porcupine tree

5. Like I said; Porcupine Tree are British...not Australian.

6. I'm sure Australian bands are outstanding in this genre, they are in Punk. Must be the heath...

7. amroach

amroach

Feb 11, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Majority are British, I think Collin Edwin is Australian

8. You are correct, sir. Colin is indeed from Melbourne, Australia. But I was referring to the band as its own entity being from Britain.

9. amroach

amroach

Feb 11, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Then Yes we are agreed.

10. The Butterfly Effect.......AWESOME
    Thousand Needles in Red (Newish but features the singer from TBE)

Karnivool and Cog have been mentioned, as has Dead Letter Circus.

The Amity Affliction - not so much 'prog rock' or such, but I wouldn't classify any of the bands listed solely as 'prog rock'

Will list some more tomorrow as its midnight and i have uni tomorrow

11. Evanseveneleven

Evanseveneleven

Aug 23, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
  12. ShawnStones

ShawnStones

Nov 24, 2008
    Rockford,Il
    I LOVE the 'Vool. I've started a few threads around these parts to help spread the word. They are in the states right now, playing SXSW then doing a full run. I even pulled some strings and my new band is opening for them April 9th in Chicago. I'm STOKED!

13. Blatherskite

Blatherskite

Jun 5, 2007
  14. at the best job I could ask for ;)

one of the other guys (and the only one with an ipod) plays it all the time.

I really like Amity though, I'm not really into that kind of stuff but I like it. Maybe because my band supported them when they came to cairns a bit back :D

15. If you guys want to check out some proggy hardcore, check out House vs Hurricane.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020