1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Babicz 3-point Gibson style bridge out this month!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RedHotFuzz, Jan 23, 2015.

1. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Mar 16, 2014
    http://fullcontacthardware.com/fch-3-point-four-string-bass-bridge-gibson-style.htm

[​IMG]

I really like my Babicz bridge (light weight, nice adjustability, no pointy bits poking your hand) but never stop complaining about the giant logo. The new Gibson style bridge not only ditches the logo, but also gives you drop-in string swaps. Win-win. And overall I think it's better looking than the standard Babicz FCH bridge.

Question: would it be difficult to retrofit this 3-point bridge to a P-style body that has the standard 5-hole Fender/Gotoh drill pattern? If I'm ordering a new Warmoth body, would it be best to have no bridge holes drilled at all and let the luthier figure that out or should I have them drill the standard 5-hole pattern for a reference point for the 3-point bridge? Any expert opinions out there?

2. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I really like that bridge!

If I were installing it on a P style body, I would not want the Fender 5 hole pattern pre-drilled. It's easy enough to determine the proper positioning of a bridge, and in fact, the 5 hole pattern may be detrimental if any of the holes come close to any of the 3-point holes.

AltGrendel likes this.
  3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if it's for a gibson then the string spacing is probably way narrower than fender spec.

it's also probably way too tall.

RedHotFuzz and hdracer like this.
  4. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Mar 16, 2014
    You're right on both counts - Babicz confirmed it. Bummer, I really like that bridge.

5. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    That's Gibson and Fender covered. I wonder if Rickenbacker is up next?

mapleglo likes this.
  6. Hoodywah

Hoodywah

Feb 11, 2014
    Athens, GA
    None as of yet
    Anyone had an issue of the mounting posts having the wrong thread spacing for the bushings in the body? I have a '78 Gibson RD standard. Got my bridge on Saturday and as I tried to install it, the posts would only go so far and, as I know from doing multiple jobs, when the screw stops, don't force it. I pulled them out and held it up to mine and the Babicz threads are spaced a little further apart than the originals. Thoughts aside from emailing them? I have emailed twice and called repeatedly to no response.
    Thanks!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021