1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New band, quick question

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by IbanezBass69, Oct 3, 2010.

1. IbanezBass69

IbanezBass69

Jul 14, 2010
    Minnesota
    So, I am in a new band, it is still being built, as we need drummer/singer. But, my question is this: One of the guitarists is my little brother, soon to be aged 16. Will this become a problem when/if we start playing gigs? I assume that he could still play any bars or 21+ stuff, since he is part of the band, but does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? I really want this to work, we are all so far serious musicians, and share the ultimate goal of "getting big" so to speak.

2. Big chicken

Big chicken

May 25, 2010
    In Space
    Angus Young and Malcom Young are borthers
    I was in a band and The gui****s were Brothers they actually got along pretty well

3. Laws can vary from state to state, but in many places a bar will not let someone in if they're under 21. Being in a band makes no difference.

If it's a restaurant that has an attached bar, you might be able to get in. If it's a place that sells tickets, checks ID, and stamps hands at the door, you might be able to get in.

But for plain old bars, you should ask bar owners in your state.

4. From mine and others experience, never a problem playing bars underage. It all depends on the bar or the state law. Some states will allow a 16 yr old in accompanied by an adult - period. Also, the club owners usually aren't thinking "is this guy old enough?" We had an 18 yr old in the band until he was 20 ish and never did we get hassled/asked. After all, the venue needs the entertainment and who else are they going to book in an hours notice? Rock On!

5. BrBss

BrBss Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    It will vary with local laws. When I was underage, most bars would let me in, but only for setup/playing/tear down. No hanging around before or after.

6. Its worse than that, actually...

Even if its legal to be in the bar at 16, its still illegal to drink. Bar owner may not want to take a chance they won't be drinking in the parking lot and get discovered drunk underage in his bar. How does he prove he didn't provide drinks in that case?

He may not want to risk it even if its legal. Surely not if it isn't.

Randy

7. nealw

nealw

Sep 9, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I started playing in bars at age 15 in Georgia. Never had any trouble, but was always respectful & didn't try to drink. I was 15 in 1983, though, so my experience may not be helpful.

8. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    It wasn't OK when I was kid back in the late 60's and early 70's. I had a regular country band gig where they (the band) hid me behind the amp stacks, seated on a low stool, so the cops wouldn't see me when they came in the front door (which they did 2 or 3 times a night). Yeah, it was an inner city dive bar, but paid me about $75 a night ... good money when the minimum wage was $1.50/hr.

9. 9 Days ago my band played an 18+ show at a local venue. Our oldest member is 17.

Liam

10. It will vary since most of the time it will be at the discretion of the bar owner.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    St. Paul, Minnesota passed a local ordinance that prohibits the employment of minors under age 18 in businesses where alcohol is sold for consumption on the premises, except where: (1) the person under 18 is employed as musicians or in bussing or washing dishes in a restaurant or hotel, or (2) the person under 18 is employed in restaurant or hotel where only wine is sold, provided that the person under age 18 does not server or sell wine (St. Paul, Minnesota Ordinance §409.08). Under Minnesota state law, no local ordinance can be enacted that prohibits 18- to 20-year-olds from entering an establishment to perform work, including selling or serving alcoholic beverages (Minnesota Statute §340A.503).

http://www.epi.umn.edu/alcohol/policy/sellrage.shtm

I'd check with local law enforcement wherever you play to get details for that area so you won't be surprised with local restrictions.

12. IbanezBass69

IbanezBass69

Jul 14, 2010
    Minnesota
    Wow, that reply helped quite a bit, thanks a ton man!
    And props for actually looking where I am from and going the extra mile! Looks like we might be safe then, but I guess I will still check before booking anything, just to make dang sure we are safe.