Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I haven't done this for a while- I auditioned and got the bass job in a promising local hard rock band. They have radio play, the usual nebulous connections, a studio in the basement,etc. The most exciting thing for me is that these guys are HIGHLY motivated. They seem to appreciate my non-traditional bass stylings :D and are open to input etc. The singer is a natural hook writer. The drummer is and old school thrash head (like me) so we click very well.

I'm actually happy playing at practice now. I forgot what that was like.

Kids- if your band dies pay attention! Don't be like me flogging a dead horse. It wastes everyones time and threatens valuable friendships. I could have been having fun like this three years ago!

2. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Congrats!!

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    thank you sir!

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    That's great! Pretty much the same situation I recently got into. It really is great to be working with people on the same level. My guitarist and I share so many similarities in our background that it's creepy!

Isn't it great when it all comes together like that? Have fun man!

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks! You too! It is so cool to be playing with people who say things "great to have you in on this" and "I can't wait to write music with you". It's seriously made me a happier person, musically and in other areas of my life.

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    As soon as I can SMASH. :)

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Glad to hear this, you sound like you are digging this new situation.

I hope everything worked out as well with your guitarist friend as well!

Thor

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    It loos like things will be fne, we've had a coupe of conversations about the situation, and seem to be in agreement. It frees us up to go have a beer. :)

9. cwbassist

cwbassist

Aug 23, 2003
    illiniois
    in the band I currently play with everybody has a strong metallica influence but we have some subtle differences that really give the music this cool thing going on, and they are all as dedicated as I am which just makes it even better