New Bass Day - Sterling 5 HS Edition!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wdinc01, Mar 4, 2017.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quick background story - My Fender AJDV got stolen out of my car two weeks again, a bass I've had for eight years. The upside is I actually have renters insurance, so I was able to get a payout to help with the replacement (which I otherwise wouldn't be able to afford because I have a wedding coming up at the end of the year). I figured I would have grabbed an Elite V (I still want one), but spending a few hours in Bass Central turned me on to a Sterling HS. I was never one for EBMMs (or at least, Stingrays), but the Sterling HS really blew me away! It was like my jazz, only it sounded WAY meaner!

I wanted a fiver (which Bass Central didn't have when I was there) so I found one on Reverb and got a good price.

So without further ado...

7kOXEed.jpg

i1TASNb.jpg

IrEklElr.jpg

J9O2RIqr.jpg

Excuse the messy background, we're in the process of moving.

I believe the finish is called Iced Blue Metallic. I don't feel like it's photographing well, because there's a sparkle in the finish, and its lighter in person. Matching headstock, maple fretboard. The seller had it strung with
    Labella Deep Talking flats, which I was not expecting to like as much as I do, however I'm taking it in today to get some Loriders put on. Otherwise, this thing plays like butter!

I'll post more pictures when I'm not on my phone. Stay tuned!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Just got it back with a fresh set of Lo Riders, and now its perfect!

southgabass likes this.
  3. Gorgeous bass! I really like the Sterlings, in a 4-string the 5's are too narrow to my liking. And give that dog a treat for adding extra UMPH to your pic!

wdinc01 likes this.
  4. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm actually really digging how narrow the spacing is! Although I can't say I'm used to having a satin finish on the back of the neck, but I'm acclimating pretty quickly. And don't worry about Pickles, he gets plenty of treats!

Arthur U. Poon and southgabass like this.
  5. peddles

peddles

Sep 5, 2011
    Palm Coast
    Gorgeous bass!

wdinc01 likes this.
  6. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    upside down pictures make me dizzy
    Here

2mdh3bt.jpg

7. Glad he gets plenty of treats, my daughter actually named one of her Guinea Pigs Pickles McNugget, great name =p

wdinc01 likes this.
  8. That there is one Bad Azz looking bass and I'm not even a huge fan, makes me want to try one again. I have mostly Fenders and a couple of more high end basses. Ive recently been drawn to MM basses for the first time after I played a new HH model. That's beautiful. Dig the pup too.

9. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Sorry! It looked right on my phone, but I see on my computer everything is landscape. I'll try to fix that!

EDIT: Fixed!

Tell your daughter that that's a solid name for a guinea pig, and that Pickles McNugget has a brother in arms in Florida!

I had the same thought! I was never one for Stingrays, and I didn't think a Sterling would change my mind. But then, here we are! I like the HS more than the HH, because I can still set it up like a Jazz bass, although I wouldn't say they sound the exact same. It's just nice getting those sonic options.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  10. Indeed, sadly he passed last year at the ripe old age of 3.5 (pretty standard for a guinea pig), partially due to him getting his own outside living space and south GA humid heat (he got used to being in the AC I believe) as you're aware of being in Jacksonville

11. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    That's unfortunate. My fiance actually worked at VSU, so I know just how humid it can get in Valdosta

southgabass likes this.
  12. Yeah, but a pampered 3.5 yr old (8lb) Guinea Pig, he had a good life. Anyways back to the bass, still just can't do that narrow of spacing, which is one of the reasons I don't play 5's. I did play a BTB and a Cirrus 5 that felt ok though.

13. Congrats! I looked at a Sterling 5 in Pacific blue burst in that model (HS but with a rosewood fretboard) but went with a Stingray 5 HS. I'm sure you'll love the Sterling. I plan to add one to my collection one of these years. Sucks that your jazz was pinched but glad you like the new one.

14. Congrats on a beautiful bass and dog. In my limited EBMM experience, I prefer Sterlings over Stingrays too.

15. Sorry for the newbie question but what's the difference between the Stingray and Stering?

16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses

Beautiful! Congratulations!!

17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Hi Kirk, I don't know very much about the 5-string versions, but in 4-strings, the Sterling has a slightly downsized body, the neck width at the nut feels very Jazz Bass like, (it's a little narrower than the StingRay's neck at the nut), the single pickup version of the Sterling has a 3-way wiring selector switch for Series, Single Coil (it has a hum cancelling dummy coil under the pickguard for noiseless single coil operation), and Parallel, and the magnets in the Sterling's pickup are ceramic, whereas the StingRay's are alnico, and the Sterling has a 3-band eq, whereas the "Standard" or "Classic" version of the StingRay has a 2-band eq. But you can get the StingRay with a 3-band eq.

wdinc01 likes this.
  18. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Cool looking bass

19. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Adding to that, my fiver feels similar to a jazz bass, although I would say it's actually slimmer in the neck and the body. Obviously its a different shape, but it still feels light and slim. The neck is definitely slimmer than a Stingray, which is why I've never seriously considered them.

The switch on the HS is a five way, and if we think of the single coil as 1, and the humbucker as 2 and 3, the options are: 1 and dummy coil, 1 and 2, 1 2 and 3, 3 and dummy coil, and 2 and 3, all in series. I think of it as along the lines as a jazz on steroids and REALLY mean.

I know there's a thread here where people were discussing why Sterlings aren't as popular as Stingrays. If you ever get a chance to A/B the two, you definitely should! They may look similar, but both play differently

Arthur U. Poon likes this.