1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Bass players Moving things forward

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dechristimo, Jan 17, 2012.

1. dechristimo

dechristimo

Oct 24, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Just a student working at The Music Mart
    So in the guitar world you have people like Guthrie Govan, Andy Wood, Tom Quayle, and even Andy McKee and Erik Mongrain in the acoustic world, all moving guitar onward with a very modern ring to it (not necessarily better, that's opinion) and what new (as new as those guys so no miller/wooten/any of the classics) bassists are really moving things onward (again not better just more modern)? I've really been looking for some modern jazz fusion guys and while I do love listening to them in a band it's always good when they have solo work too, so any and all ideas and recommendations are welcome!

2. ACalbass

ACalbass

Dec 16, 2011
    Not sure I understand your question as if you look for bassist moving forward regarding their own compositions (solo work) or regarding their playing (with a band).
    I think all depends on how far back you are listening,and how current also.
    Maybe something new for you is something you haven't listened yet,even from 25 years ago (Percy Jones from brandx comes to mind,very unique)
    And about compositions,who knows,maybe you like Bill Laswell solo work.
    There is people that still ahead of our times that played many years ago.(and still are)

3. dechristimo

dechristimo

Oct 24, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Well basically I have listened to all those guys to death haha. And I enjoy the new direction that these new wave of guitarists are taking things and I want to find the bassists who are in this modern movement.
    Also I don't know why but I just do not like the sound of old-sounding recordings, I still listen to them because I can't seem to find any solo bassists with any modern recordings (other than a few from Wooten).
    And by modern I mean within the past 5 or so years. I think music is an ever-progressing thing, and it's time for some new heads to come into the picture

4. tomshad

tomshad

Feb 15, 2007
    Try jeff Schmidt, michael manring, darren michaels, steuart liebig,julie slick,joe gallant,chris tarry,steve lawson,gustav fjelstrom

5. dechristimo

dechristimo

Oct 24, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Thank you! I wasn't skeptical, I knew it was out there, I just needed help finding it!

6. The Lemon

The Lemon Banned

Aug 16, 2011
    Adam Ben Ezra

7. Sub'd out of curiosity.

Mentioning Mongrain and McKee makes me immediately Outre from Jeff Schmidt. Similar-ish sound to the two acoustic players, Schmidt plays a piccolo bass and does some cool stuff with looping and effects. Satori is my favorite track off his CD. He also has some alter ego stuff as Ruiner Severhead, check out Bound.

Michael Manring is another of my favorite players who, while he's been around for while, has always seemed to be an avant-garde bassist. His signature Zon has detuners on all the tuners and each string at the bridge... and he uses them. I want to say his old website listed something like 15 different tunings (give or take) for his song Enormous Room and he plays three basses on My Three Moons.

Hadrien Feraud is a relatively newer player on the scene (I think). I have to admit though, I haven't listened to much of his work because what I have heard swings more towards experimental jazz and a little left field for my personal taste (I'm into funk, r&b, Motown, soul, etc.) and he also seems a bit more about flash/technique... but that might go with the style of music. Check out a live performance of Rumeurs to see what I'm talking about... I can appreciate the technicality, but it just doesn't groove for me.

Rather than Feraud, I much prefer what players like Sharay Reed are doing with Gospel music. (I've been subbing for a black gospel choir for a little while now). Check out this gospel music jam, a version of Joy to the World! That's something I can groove to much more than Feraud, but I do realize it's a subjective matter of personal taste.

I hope those sort of qualify for what you're looking for!

Subscribed out of curiosity to see what other people weigh in with!

5sg.

8. I'll have to check these, haven't heard of any of them! Thanks!

5sg.

9. dechristimo

dechristimo

Oct 24, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Two other guys I'm coming across are Trip Wamsley and Steve Bailey. Don't quite know what to think of them yet, but they have potential from the short parts I've seen.
    Also tomshad do you think you could provide links for some of those players? I can't seem to find any good videos for some of them

10. Oh yeah, Steve Bailey... He did the Bass Extremes cds with Victor Wooten, but I haven't heard much else of his work. Pretty sweet pretless player, wonder what other stuff he's done.

5sg.

11. wingmanborge

wingmanborge

Apr 12, 2012
    Devin Hoff comes to mind - both electric and acoustic

12. webspeare

webspeare

Nov 15, 2011
    NYC Metro area
    Though he's hardly new on the electric bass scene, Jamaaladeen Tacuma continues to push boundaries with the music he focuses on. In recent years he put out CD projects in which he's updated the music of Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane and Ornette Coleman (to name a few) in contemporary settings. His stuff if not very commercially available but is fairly readily available on his web site.

13. JesusMetalFunk

JesusMetalFunk

Aug 11, 2011
    Not sure if you might find this interesting, but on the website notreble.com they have a column that is fairly consistent called

"New school" I like some of it. Hate other parts of it.

So this might be what you are looking for.

14. Avashai Cohen

15. Emilym80

Emilym80

Sep 15, 2011
    Aram Bedrosian is amazing, in my opinion. I also highly recommend Zander Zon.

16. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Janek Gwidzala, i think he is one cat who is pushing the boundary of bass right now.